Panda Facts That Might Surprise You

Panda Facts That Might Surprise You

They are more than just a pretty face.

1001
skeeze on CC0 Creative Commons

So let's be honest, we have all fallen in love with Giant Pandas at one point in our lives, I personally am still doting over the baby pictures of Bei Bei who was born in 2015. When I was thinking about writing another animal facts article, I asked one of my friends for ideas and she suggest pandas which I proceeded to tell her was cliche as far as cute animals go, but she insisted. The truth is there are actually a lot of things I didn't know about the big, cuddly-looking bears that are the face of the Worldwide Wildlife Fund. I picked out the facts I found most interesting and some adorable pictures for everyone to enjoy as they get ready for finals. So enjoy!

1. A newborn panda cub is about the size of a stick of butter according the WWF, making it roughly 1/900 of the size of its mother.

2. Giant Pandas are actually really good at climbing trees.

3. Giant Pandas can be more than four feet tall.

4. They must eat 26 to 84 pounds of bamboo a day!

5. There are less than 2,000 Giant Pandas left in the wild.

6. You can only find wild Giant Pandas in China.

7. If a panda has twins, the mother will abandon one of them because she cannot care for both.

8. Pandas live up to 20 years in the wild.

9. Pandas live alone.

I hope these facts make you respect these adorable bears for more than just their pretty faces.

For more info on pandas, check out these two sites: World Wild Life and National Geographic.