The Pains and Pleasures of a Translator

The Pains and Pleasures of a Translator

Its a powerful feeling knowing you're the only line of communication

5
The Pains and Pleasures of a Translator
Pineapple Supply Co

Que lo que hermano. Tranquilo?

Just another day in Canton, Ohio. Well, that is if you happen to be speaking to a Dominican! I mentioned in a previous article about my trip to the Dominican Republic and how much I loved it, so when some dear friends of mine were hosting some Dominican friends, how could I resist?

We all sat down and shared a meal together. We talked about life, work, passions and shoe sizes (naturally). We talked for hours and hours and everyone had something to say.

Insert me

I had the duty to be a translator for my friends and their guests as needed. For those that have translated before, you know there are some amazing things, and not so amazing things with translation.

Here are some of those things:

1. Uniting the world, one conversation at a time

There is something beautiful about bringing in people from different parts of the globe and watching them interact. People, who come from very different backgrounds and beliefs, doing normal things together. Like waving. A great way to eliminate racial and ethnic prejudice, is to bring cultures together and learn that we aren’t so different.

It also helped that they new each other already.

2. Translating ideas over words

When translating, you need to have a solid understanding of both cultures. My time in the DR had taught me the relational strengths of their Latin culture, and that relationships often take precedence. Due to this, I couldn’t directly tell the dominican man that my friends had specific plans already figured out without adapting it to his cultural lens first.

The trick is to make sure that you are still saying the same thing, but in a way that does not make either party lose face. I had to speak to him in all manners of his language.

He was under the impression that because they worked directly together before, that they would continue to do so. Anything different would be seen as a personal offense. In our culture, we understand the “you do you,” mentality; while in dominican culture, its “whats mine is yours."

Neither is wrong, but when translating, you have to find that middle ground. I explained to him that they had friends that already are there and they want to explore what they are doing and see what opportunities are out there; while of course keeping the door open for doing work together.

3. Bringing the world to you

My favorite part is the fact that one of my favorite countries in the world came right to my neighborhood. All it took was a 30 second drive and I could immerse myself yet again in DR culture. There was no need for flight plans, itineraries, detailed packing lists, or even my lucky life sized fish pillow.

4. It leaves as quick as it comes

Like any translation job, it's only temporary. Once the guests left, I was back in Main St. USA with my normal everyday workings of life. I got only a taste of the richness of the world’s cultures, and now, like usual I’m aching to find more; naturally allowing me to start texting all my international friends “WASSSSUUUUPPP."

Apparently that doesn’t translate directly for some reason.

My passion for people will always be a huge driving force in my life, and I’m going to continue to learn languages and cultures and learn the stories of those around me. Though its borderline irony, there often isn't enough words to describe the experience of translating between cultures.

So, if you ever need a little more culture in your life, just learn a new language.

Adiós, pimpollos!