How My Life Has Changed Since My Dad Passed Away

The Pain Of Losing A Parent

Having you ever felt what it was like to lose your parent? I hope you never have to because I have.

889
The Pain Of Losing A Parent
Jessica Tran

About six years ago, on December 14, 2012, I was a normal 12-year-old girl, having a normal night with my family. My dad's famous meals were made with the help of my sister and I (well, tried to help). My mom, coming home late after her 12 hour shift. After we were all together, we sat down for dinner and talked to each other, bonding over how our day was. After eating, my sister and I were off to bed and my dad kissed both of us goodnight. I would have never thought that it would the last time I see my dad himself.

Before we completely fell asleep, I heard my mom screaming at the top of her lungs. My sister and I ran toward the sounds of terror and saw my dad sitting down on the bed, unable to move or talk. My mom rushed to the phone while we all tried to help him down the stairs. While my mom was on the phone, talking to the operator, I was standing there, in shock, trying to process what was happening. When my dad was hauled into the ambulance, my mom drove us to our aunt's house to escape the trouble and drove herself to the hospital. I knew that it was never gonna be the same after that moment. Later, we found out that our dad had a stroke because of an aneurysm and had brain surgery.

However, the surgery didn't go as planned because since he was bleeding into his brain, he had to have surgery immediately but they couldn't get a neurosurgeon on site for two hours. Eventually, the surgery was over but the damage was done. For two years, my dad was in a coma until he passed on October 17, 2014. I had hoped within those years, he would wake up and everything would go back to normal. However, usually, nothing really happens the way you want it to happen. Not being able to visit him, hold his hand, or talk to him like he was conscious.

Everything that kept me sane and in touch with my dad was gone within an instant. My dad was an amazing person and everyone loved him. I wish more people could have been able to meet him because I call myself pretty lucky to have had a dad like him.

Now, I am an 18-year-old who's a college student, trying to prepare for the future, stressed and worried constantly. It's been even harder to function since my dad passed four years ago because I'm at the time where I need my dad more than ever. I mean, I have always needed him. He wasn't there when I graduated high school, he didn't help me move into college, and he's not going to be walking me down the aisle when I get married. I need someone who's going to tell me that it's going to be okay if I fail a test or knowing that my mom has someone when I'm away at college. I need someone who's going to be there for my little sister's graduation and be able to defend her in any way, shape or form. I feel like I have the whole world, resting on my shoulders and I can't breathe sometimes. Dealing with this pressure and grief doesn't go away overnight, it takes time and patience. However, this journey of losing my dad has made me more grateful for those who are in my life. My mom, for instance, is my hero and has made sure that I am successful in life. My sister is my other half and is basically the only person that understands me. From this whole roller coaster called life, it has taught me an important lesson. Nothing lasts forever and always say I love you to the ones you love every single day because you're not going to know if it’s your last time seeing them ever again.