Yes, I Own A Pug, No, I Don’t Have Personal Space

I am not really sure if I own a pug, or if my pug owns me.

201
Jennifer Hancock

When you think of a pug, you think of that ugly dog that looks like it ran into a screen door, right? That is what most people tell me when I tell them that I have one. But when you own one yourself, you do not see them that way. For as long as I can remember, the only inside dog I have ever owned was a pug.

Being a pug owner is a special thing. Pugs are super needy. Like, super needy. With my pug, if I am on my computer or phone instead of playing with him, he paws at my hands. Seriously.

I have to drop whatever I am doing to pet him. If I am super comfortable with my computer on my lap, and he sees it, he decides he wants to sleep on my lap at that moment, and I have to maneuver around him (I think we get it, he is jealous of my laptop).

He is also very spoiled. Every time we go to the store, he gets a toy. When we go out to eat, he gets a piece brought back in a doggy bag. Once, he didn’t eat his dinner, so we put shredded chicken in it. He now only eats if it has shredded chicken in it. I’m serious. When he sleeps with me on my bed, he has to pick his comfy spot before I get to get in mine.

I could go on and on about things that may sound like having a pug is extremely high maintenance (it is), but let me tell you: it is SO worth it. These dogs genuinely become your best friend. All they care about is people and their families.

Every time someone comes to the door, he brings them a toy. When we mentioned a member of our family’s name, he automatically tilts his head. They always want to snuggle. As soon as we come home, he runs to the couch or bed to just be near us. You can seriously never feel lonely when you have a pug around.

Living with a pug is one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. My pug became a part of my family, I even joke with my parents that he is the favorite child (he is). They can bring so much joy and personality throughout my life. Just like owning any animal, it is so, so worth the negatives and the positives when you have a pug. You may have to buy a lot of shredded chicken, but the snuggles and pure love is always worth it.