The Owls Are Still Watching Me

The Owls Are Still Watching Me

Weeks after I've finished watching Twin Peaks, I am still being stalked by owls, only I'm starting to think they're guiding me? Crazy? Probably.

89
The Owls Are Still Watching Me
Luigi Manga

Weeks back, I gave a brief review of the original "Twin Peaks" run during 1990-91. But what I mainly focused on was that I’m being stalked by owls, just as the characters in the show. Since my first "Twin Peaks" article "The Owls Are Not What They Seem," I managed to watch the show’s return season, and have found myself in the middle of the sycamore trees that are Glastonbury Grove and have drawn back the red curtain.

I have read "The Secret History Of Twin Peaks" and "The Final Dossier," both written by co-creator Mark Frost, and I have read "The Autobiography Of F.B.I. Agent Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes" by Frost’s brother, Scott Frost. I haven’t read "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer" by co-creator David Lynch’s daughter, Jennifer Lynch because I am trying to drag out my experience. I have, however, spent weeks listening to pod-casts that theorized about the show (the two best, in my opinion, "The Gifted And The Damned" along with "Twin Peaks Unwrapped").

What is the point of all of this? There are "Twin Peaks" signs flooding throughout my life. I joked in my previous article about having my own "The Number 23" moment, but it’s really happening!

Like many people, I have turned to the world of online dating, and for the most part, it kind of blows. Most people, it seems, aren’t willing to give anyone the time of day. That’s a bit backward given they are also on the site; you’d think they would be more open to someone. I’ve tried a couple of sites over the past few months, gone on a few dates but haven’t really clicked with anyone. However, here is where it gets interesting.

My profile on one of the sites states that I’d rather be living in Stars Hollow. Get the reference? I’m also a huge "Gilmore Girls" fan and figured this would be a good screening tactic. Either a girl will get that and also be a fan, or have no clue what I’m referring to. So one girl noticed the remark and questioned it, doubting I was actually a fan. After she quizzed me on my knowledge of the show, she moved on, completely un-coaxed by me, mentioning that her latest obsession is "Twin Peaks." Sure, it’s just coincidence you say, but wait I have more evidence!

About a month ago, I went out with a girl who knew nothing about "Twin Peaks," aside from it being a TV show. She and I both have tattoos and we began discussing how we came up with the ones we had, and what we were thinking about getting next. And then she pulled up the sleeve of her hoodie, and on her inner forearm, a blue rose.

That, alone unto itself, means nothing, but The Blue Rose is a major element in "Twin Peaks." A Blue Rose Case, as they come to be referred within "Fire Walk With Me" and the return of "Twin Peaks" (the original never made mention to a blue rose), is a case of the unexplained.

Jump ahead to last Friday night. My family got Chinese food for dinner and when it came time to open the fortune cookies, I opened mine to a note which read “A beautiful, smart, and loving person will be coming into your life.” Whatever, right? Who takes a fortune cookie seriously?

Well, the following night I had a date for St. Patrick’s Day, however, my date blew me off so my day ended up being wide open.My family and I are repainting our house, so my dad and I headed to Lowe's to pick up paint. As my dad and I were walking through Lowe's, what did I see? An owl statue! No, the shelf wasn’t filled with them, just a single statue, staring at me.

So I proceeded to explain to my dad about my being stalked by owls situation. As I am doing this, we walk to the paint section and this gorgeous girl is there and she gets the paint for us.She and I talked a little, but I didn’t want to hit on her with my dad there.In hindsight, what difference would it make, but for whatever reason, I didn’t like the idea of it.

So, as we walked out, my dad points out the stupidity in my action. He said, “you should’ve made a move, you know.” At which point, I agreed and decided I’d come back the next day, to see if she was there. But as I got home, I remembered the owl in the store, just before I met her.I decided I’m not going to wait, I’m going back immediately to talk to her.

So I go back, buy another can of paint, claiming I grabbed the wrong color and proceed to chat with her a bit more, before asking her out. Despite not being Irish, I sure as hell had the luck of the Irish on my side, and she and I had dinner after her shift.How does Twin Peaks come back into play, you ask? Her name is Laura.Her last name, while not Palmer, does start with the letter P and also only has 6 letters! Is your mind blown yet?

Have you too become a believer in the great "Twin Peaks?" Laura, while not an uncommon name, you must admit that it isn’t one you hear too often and meeting her this close to my recent obsession with "Twin Peaks," and even discussing the show seconds before she and I met, is a little strange. Don’t you think?

The takeaway? I’m being guided somehow by "Twin Peaks." I’ve read “Listening” by Lee Coit, which is about your inner voice and learning to follow it. I’ve struggled with this concept, and now it seems my inner voice has taken on the form of "Twin Peaks" lore, randomly sprinkling itself in my everyday life, waiting for me to notice the signs and take hold.I know this conclusion probably makes me seem like a mental patient, but the proof is in the pudding, as they say. They also say three is a pattern, which means there’s a pattern within this lunacy.

Go, my devote readers, see if you find your own “owls” whatever they might be, and see if they lead you to something you were looking for.I’m just hoping mine get me the winning lottery numbers, akin to how Dale was guided to the winning slot machines in the shows return.