To The Girl Who Overthinks Every Detail

To The Girl Who Overthinks Every Detail

Freedom from anxiety does not always feel so free.

27
To The Girl Who Overthinks Every Detail
Wikimedia

"Overthinking kills" is a term that I heard long ago and I immediately held onto it and believed it wholeheartedly.

However, I recently came to the realization that this is not something that HAS to be true for all of us. Overthinking is exhausting to say the least. In fact, it is draining and can cause a whole bunch of unnecessary, uncontrollable, and definitely unwanted anxiety.

Lately, this little monster has been creeping into my brain again and to be honest, it has been doing its job in full throttle. Right away it has led to nerves and fear and sometimes it even leads to shame.

I am not sharing this with you just to let you know how much it sucks to overthink every little thing, but just to let you know that if this is something you do, you are most definitely not alone.

Being trapped in your head is not fun, and getting out of it, well even less fun.

When you can't see the big picture, things seem worse than they really are.

The thing is, I know that me telling you this will not take away every worry you have ever had.

I am aware that every word I speedily type on this page, could not have any effect on you at all. I have been there, I have been told that "everything is just going to be fine" or that it will all work out because it "always" does.

But I do want to tell you that this is not something you have to face by yourself. Clearly, if there is something causing you to overthink this much, it matters to you. And guess what? That is ok.

The thing is these things that we value, they ARE important.

If you are anything like me, you may have believed the concept that nothing really matters because life goes by too fast, or that your problems don't matter because they won't last forever.

Do some of the things I think about constantly really matter in the long run? Probably not, but in the moment, they matter to me.

The point is that it is not that our struggles don't matter, because in fact, the really do. That is where we have it switched, we constantly tell people their struggles don't matter because Jesus is all that matters. However, our struggles matter and Jesus is the only one who truly cares and truly understands each ounce of pain that we feel.

Does being a Christian mean you are going to feel free from any anxiety? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

However, I can let you in a little secret that for me, personally, having a God to turn to that understands every ounce of struggle that I have, is the one and only thing (or rather being) that has helped me. Having a Bible to open when I can't seem to quiet down the thoughts seems to be the only thing that has calmed my soul.

So take this as you please, I am not you, and I recognize that I have not personally felt your exact pain, but I have felt pain and I can't even begin to comprehend what sort of pain Jesus felt. For me, realizing that someone eternal can cover my worries has made the things I get anxious about seem more minute. At the end of the day, I know he cares.

Please know that you are loved and that your story does not have a dead end at an anxious heart.