Making The Michigan State Pom Team And My Damn Hips

Making The Michigan State Pom Team and My Damn Hips

Overcome adversity.

220
msupom.com
Msu pom

You don't choose the trials life throws at you, but you can choose your reaction to them. After dealing with a life full of constant hip pain, I finally got an answer. Going into my junior year of high school, I got diagnosed with hip dysplasia, and yes that's a common issue in dogs, I know! My life revolved around my love for dance and pom in high school, however my life also revolved around the pain I endured. I had to decide to give up what I loved most to get surgery. Going through surgery, I knew in the back of my mind that your passion for something can overpower any trial you endure. So, I couldn't wait to get back into my passion and I knew I'd do it somehow.

After being fully recovered from surgery, I decided to try out for the Michigan State Pom Team during my freshman year of college. I was rusty and had to remind my body what a fan kick felt like and how to properly land a toe touch gracefully. During tryouts, I noticed the competition I was up against: I was competing against seasoned pommers. But I realized that my devotion and spirit could allow me to keep up with the other girls.

The day I got the notification that I made the MSU Pom Team was an exciting and eye-opening day for me. I couldn't be more proud of myself for overcoming adversity with my hips and proving that I still had a skill I thought I lost. However, I was also mindful that I still had struggled with lingering pain. Even though I couldn't commit to the team in the end, knowing that I still had the talent in my body physically and in my mind mentally after a couple of years was a prideful time for me as a person.

My hip dysplasia still affects me to this day, but it has made me a stronger individual. I believe that if you look at every situation you go through with an optimistic mindset, you can more effectively deal with adversity. So, at the end of the day, I thank my damn hips.