Woke up from my respite

Feeling spiteful again

Craving revenge

And the taste at the end

Futile yet fruitful

Deliciously vicious

Take spite's knife and twist it

Too late for forgiveness

Lead me to temptation I must

Punish those who trespass against us

But my specialty is subtlety

So I'll wait like a snake

Anticipate the date

Til you take fate's bait

Face the case

And try all the trials

Then I'll pull the rug from underneath

Sweep your feet

For a guilty plea

For something tells me

You're privy to inevitability

Which is why

While we wait we'll wonder

Will witnesses watch

War you wrought?

When whips of wicked words wail

Whose welts for what woes will you wear?

At night I might like a slight slight,

But spite's not right in the light.

In the poem, I use a lot of alliteration, consonance, and assonance, which are the repetition of beginning sounds, consonants, or vowel sounds, respectively. I also use a lot of internal rhyme. The poem is roughly divided into four parts, as indicated by the stanzas. The first part sets the scene and explains the desire for revenge, spite, etc. The second part further details the actual revenge. The narrator in the poem does not take traditional revenge, but instead plays mind games and commits subtle spiteful acts. Here I introduce the court case, or trial metaphor. With the third stanza, I got a little carried away with the "w" sound and wrote an abstract set of questions. It started out with the whipping imagery taken to be the punishment from the trial sentencing, but, instead of literal whips, the narrator uses the metaphorical whips of "wicked words." Finally, the last two lines are meant to deter the reader from being spiteful. It can be tempting to spite people and get back at them in petty ways, but, ultimately, it is not the right way to handle any situation.