Our World Needs To See A Change In The Media

There are more Important things happening than Kimye and Taylor Swift's feud.

9

I'm not going to lie: I'm a total entertainment news junkie. I love a good social media feud that breaks the internet just as much as the next person. But, there's more important things going on in the world than Kim and Kanye fighting with Taylor Swift over whether or not Swift gave consent for some silly little song lyrics.

In the last 24 hours alone, I've read headlines like, "Kim Kardashian West’s Feud With Taylor Swift Just Went Nuclear on Snapchat," "Kim Kardashian West and Kanye West Reignite Feud With Taylor Swift" and "How Kim Kardashian Beat Taylor Swift at Her Own Game." And that's not even the half of it. That was just a small fraction of the 20+ articles that crossed my news feeds on my social media.

So, what about the headlines "Gunman Identified in Shooting That Killed 3 Baton Rouge Officers" or "Attacker in Nice Showed Online Fascination With Islamic State?"

Why haven't these headlines crossed any of my social media platforms in the last 24 hours?

And now, Kardashian has broken the internet, yet again, with #KimExposedTaylorParty.

This hashtag surfaced when the world received news that Kardashian exposed Swift on her Snapchat via a video of what appeared to be a conversation between the songstress and Kanye, in which Swift agreed to let the rap mogul mention her in his song "Famous."

While every tabloid is focusing in on this feud, they're ignoring the most important issues in the media.

So what about what's actually going on in the rest of the world?

A week from now, the world is still going to be talking about the Kimye and T-Swift feud, but are we still going to be talking about the Nice, France attacks? How about the death of Alton Sterling? Or the Baton Rouge shootings that killed three police officers?

Truthfully, all of the shootings, deaths and the police brutalities that have occurred over the past couple of weeks and even months are all already at the back of my mind. And all for what?

Some Twitter feud that is deemed more important than innocent lives being taken? More important than terrorist attacks? More important than police officers dying in the line of duty?

We need to see a change in the way the media presents and handles news.

Sure, Kimye and Taylor Swift headlines may be a hot topic for a hot second, but it shouldn't be dominating the media like it's some kind of global issue.

The world says they want to see a change; they want people to become more aware of the violence, take action on gun control and stand up for the rights they believe in.

Well, here's your chance. We, as consumers, act as gatekeepers for the media. Every single one of us has the power to control what becomes news and what doesn't. This is where everything starts and everything ends.