Our Minds Are Beautiful

Our Minds Are Beautiful

Let's not destroy them.
11

The human mind is a beautiful machine. We have the capability to dream up anything. Our dreams are what inspire us. Our imaginations are limitless. Our thoughts work in ways that no one could ever understand. Our views connect us to one another and either make or break us. Our knowledge lets us solve the puzzles of every day life. Our minds are what make us strong and unique. So, why do we ruin them? Why do we damage our own minds into thinking they're anything less than perfect?

According to CNN Health, an estimated 22 million Americans use and abuse illegal drugs. That's nearly 9 percent of the American population who decided that they wanted to damage their already incredible minds by adding dangerous and life threatening drugs to the mix. It's a common misconception that drugs are used to enhance the mind. Apparently they can be used to unlock thoughts that aren't naturally possible. Think about some famous musicians who have taken mind enhancing drugs to create masterpieces.

One band who comes to mind is The Beatles. They used the mind enhancing drug LSD, which led them to create their late '60s albums, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, and Yellow Submarine, which contained their most psychedelic sounding music.

What's important to remember is that the 1960s were a different time. Sadly we don't live in the world that The Beatles lived and created their art in. We live in a world that is damaged and people are hurting other people. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, over 20 percent of teenagers will have tried illegal drugs before they graduate. Not only is that number sickening, it goes to show that we are living in a world that is out to damage the youth. We now live in a time that drugs are used for people to "have a good time". Now, we think about all of the celebrities whose lives were ruined due to drugs; Amy Winehouse, Britney Spears, and Heath Ledger just to name a few. <span id="selection-marker-1" class="redactor-selection-marker" data-verified="redactor"></span>

Addiction is real, and addiction is common. This isn't something that just happens to the celebrities, and it's certainly not just something that happens in movies. Are they worth it? Is taking drugs worth ruining everything that your mind has to offer? Are they worth emptying your brain of all of the beauty that it's able to create? Think about all of these peoples' lives who were cut short before they could use their naturally talented minds to create art to their fullest potential. Think about all of the works of art that are lost forever. Before we try drugs for the first time, we need to realize the time that we are living in. We need to see the dangers for what they are and understand that drugs are made differently than they were in the 1960s.

Think twice and save your mind.