Storytime: My OU Ring Ceremony

Storytime: My OU Ring Ceremony

On October 22 of this year, I received my OU Ring.

96
Storytime: My OU Ring Ceremony
Marita Morrow

As soon as I heard about the OU class ring, I knew I wanted to work towards and receive mine as quickly as possible. I knew this would mean taking more courses over the summer, but I did not want to wait until I was a senior to order or wear my very own OU Ring.

It had kind of slipped my mind after I finished my sophomore year at OU in May, and I did not think about my ring until one of my friends posted on Facebook about hers finally arriving in the mail. She is graduating a year ahead of me, but I still wanted to see if I was finally eligible to order mine.

I looked online and noticed that the requirement was 60 credit hours now, and I had more than enough by July when I really started looking into ordering one. I started doing some research over the summer and planned out what I wanted my ring to look like.

I chose a gold coin ring with red and white jewels around the Seed Sower in a satin finish in the middle. It was beautiful, even if it was just images on the computer.

Logan Morrow

I was nervous to order it because I did not know my ring size, so I waited until I was back in Norman for the semester and I could get my finger sized. After talking with a jeweler (the Josten's store on campus was not open at the time, and I was impatient), I went ahead and ordered the ring.

After a few weeks, I received an email about the ring ceremony and my options for attending. I didn't think that my ring would arrive on time, but the Josten's representative for OU told me that my ring had actually come in early, and it was sitting on their desk.

I then filled out the RSVP for the ceremony and invited my mom to attend with me. Since everything looks different on campus this year because of COVID-19, the Student Alumni Association who is in charge of the ceremony decided to host individual ceremonies for the ring recipients.

This meant that my mom and I would go to the courtyard at the Union, watch a few videos of the speeches from the short in-person ceremony a few days earlier, and have a very personal and individualized ring ceremony.

We took pictures before the ceremony and received a goody box that had a confetti popper and a stemless champagne flute with the OU ring engraved on it to celebrate with after.

Marita Morrow

During the ceremony, the emcee addressed me directly, and my mom got to put my ring on my finger...after it fell out of the box when we first opened it. It was alright though, and we laughed it off.

We took more pictures with the actual ring, and we got to see my personal slide from the ring yearbook.

Marita Morrow

OU Student Alumni Association

This was a wonderful experience, and while it might not have been what everyone expected it to be, OU SAA really did a great job of making me feel important and celebrated at my very own personal ring ceremony.

I've only got about a year of college left, but you can bet that ring will be on my finger everyday from here on out. It's definitely never too soon to start looking into your own ring and ceremony, that way you can get yours as soon as you're eligible.

Boomer Sooner!

Marita Morrow