Father's Day Isn't Always For Fathers

Father's Day Isn't Always For Fathers

Sometimes, all we need is a little help.

7
Father's Day Isn't Always For Fathers
Alex Bossi

Since the year 1910 when Father's Day was celebrated for the first time, people across the United States and even in other countries (whom celebrate sometimes on other days) have utilized the third Sunday of June to honor their fathers. These men are the ones that sat with us as a crying baby up all night, the men that disapproved of the boys or girls that we brought home, and the men that did the handy work around the house. They have their day to be recognized and celebrated for everything they do for the family. Sometimes though, for whatever reason, this may not be the case for every family. There are always the exceptions and I can proudly say I am one of these exceptions. For some of us, Father's Day is just like any other day, and for others, it is a day to celebrate anyone who may have raised us, whether that be an uncle, grandfather, godfather or another influential figure in our lives.

Through the years, there have been many family members that have helped raise me, all of which have been essential figures in the struggle that is bringing up a child in a single parent household. Believe me, I was a tough one, so it took an army to get me straighten out! These are the people I celebrate on Father's Day; not my biological father, but the symbolic fathers in my life, the people that helped shape me into the woman I am today.

My uncles have always been an influential part of my life. They taught me so much through the years, yet their teaching methods were unbeknownst to me at the time. They taught me life skills and the meaning of true relationships, love, and family. They taught me to love what I do, whatever it may be and that sometimes, things don't work out the way I hope. They taught me to look at the bright side of situations and everything can be fixed with a little joke or some playful teasing to get me talking or irritated. These men raised me.

My grandfather was one of the most strong-willed people I've ever met. When he wanted something, he would most definitely get, it even if that something was ice cream in the middle of summer after dinner. He taught me manners, how I should carry myself, and that I should be confident in anything that I attempt. He taught me more than just how I should act, but how other people should act around me. He would not stand for shenanigans and that's something that probably rubbed off on me. This man was the man that I looked up to most in my life and a man that will never be forgotten.

The most important father in my life is not an uncle or my grandfather, but instead is the person that takes on more roles than one. This father is the one that takes on the role of both my father and my mother. Being raised in a single parent household, my mother ended up doing a majority of the work in getting me places, whether that be to meets and races, practices, or just when I needed something. She is the incredible person that never fails to surprise me on a daily basis and above all, is the best multi-tasker I have ever met. She is able to take on the role of mother and father with ease (most of the time) and is happy to oblige. She is my inspiration, my role model, and my best friend. She will always be my forever shopping buddy, my pool volleyball partner, and my taste-tester in the kitchen. Above all, she is my father and my mother, the one who raised me, shaped me into the person I am today, and I couldn't ask for anything more.

When I was younger, I used to think to myself what it would be like to celebrate Father's day with someone's actual father. I came to the realization that It wouldn't be any different. I would be surrounded by the people that helped raise me, just the way it was intended.