An open letter to the best woman in my life

To My Mom

I have so much to thank you for

621
To My Mom
Isabella Nowak

Dear Mom,

I have so much to thank you for. Now, before you keep on reading, I want to warn you that I am not being my regular sarcastic self in this. I thought it was time that I put in writing my appreciation towards the amazing powerful woman that you are. You have not only been the best mom to me but the best friend I could ever have. You truly are one of a kind, and I know for a fact there are many other people that agree with that statement.

First, thank you for giving birth to me. This is a pretty obvious thing for most children to thank their mothers. However, the process of you giving birth to me was a little bit trickier than most. You were in labor with me for 32 hours. You actually saw the light after giving birth. Not only am I blessed that you powered through an excruciatingly long labor, but I am blessed that you chose not to give up after and to be my mother for life. It was not your last day, and it was not mine either.

Next, I would like to thank you for the way that you raised me. You raised me to be an independent, self-sufficient, and confident woman. You taught me at a young age that I could make my own decisions and that nobody should make them for me. You taught me that I was powerful and could be anything I wanted to be. You never pressured me to be a doctor or a lawyer, but always wanted me to take the path that would make me the happiest.

You taught me that people must earn respect and not demand it. Because of this, from when I could first speak to now at 19 years old, I will never accept being talked down too. You taught me that honesty really is the best policy. You were always honest with me, even at a young age. Now, I value honesty and trust as the most important aspects of any relationship.

You taught me to never give up and to take on my fears even though they might have terrified me. I would definitely not be where I am now if I did not take the risks you pushed me to take.

All of these things that you taught me when I was a child have helped shape the woman I am today. I am so beyond lucky to call you my mother.

- Your daughter