Open Thank You To Our Soldiers And Veterans

You Are My Hero

28
gulfwinds.com

You keep us safe, despite the fact that you have to put your own life in danger to do so. That is what I call courage and bravery at their finest. You’re strong, both physically and mentally. You go through intense training before you join the military and then you’re forced to be away from your family and friends for weeks, months, and maybe even years at a time. Yet you choose to do this willingly also. That’s why you all are my hero.

This country wouldn’t be able to run without you holding it together constantly. Maybe you joined the military because your father did and he was your role model. Maybe you joined the military because you wanted more than anything to protect your family in any way possible. Either way, by joining the military, you are doing so much more than just making your families proud. You are protecting and shielding our countries citizens from danger. Therefore, I will always be thankful for your services and I will always be willing to help you through donating while you’re across the sea or by giving you a kind smile and listening to your stories while you’re back at home. You will always have a friend in me.

The sad thing is, some people just don’t see nor appreciate the goodness in your heart. Don’t worry about them. You’ve put your life on the line to protect millions more. There is no question about the fact that you are an incredible and courageous human being. You are the definition of what a hero is and should be.

I can’t imagine what training and being away from home for so long might be like, but I can imagine that it must be far from easy. I know that many of you come back with physical injuries or mental pain such as PTSD. It must be so difficult to cope with when you’ve never had to deal with it prior to joining the military. You may feel stuck in a rut, you might shut people out, you might hide inside during the Fourth of July fireworks, and you might be scared to sleep at night because of the constant nightmares that roam through your mind.

However, you shouldn’t be scared to talk; to seek help. While too many people are unkind in this world and take your services for granted, there are also a lot of ways for you to find the support you need. Don’t be embarrassed or ashamed, your mental and physical wounds are battle wounds which prove how strong you really are. If anything, people should look up to you because you are the most important kind of role model that this world could ask for.

So all I really want to say is thank you. If you ever need someone to listen to your stories, I am here and I’m sure your family and friends will be too. If you’re scared to open up about your experiences over sea, try seeking alternative ways of support such as investing in a service dog or another form of therapy like Expressive Therapy which uses techniques other than just talking. If you are shy of seeking support, please do it anyway. It’s okay to ask for help. Even when you think you are alone, it's important to remember that you never really are. I hope you enjoy this Memorial Day and many more to come, because this day will forever belong to you.