An Open Thank You To The Best Coach I've Ever Had

I hope I made you proud over the years.

26
Karlie Middleton

Growing up as an athlete, I've had my fair share of coaches. I had coaches that saw a future in me and coaches who benched me way more often than they put me in the game. Simply and honestly because they didn't like me as a person. I had coaches that have pushed me until I couldn't breathe anymore and coaches that didn't push me hard enough. I had coaches that grew to become close buddies and some coaches that became enemies. But when I think about it all the coaches who have coached me throughout my years as an athlete, there's one coach who stands out way above the rest. She's the one women has molded me into the athlete and women that I am today.

This coach taught by example. Far too many coaches stand on the sidelines and watch us athletes run, however, she ran with us. Every time we did a workout such as lifting in the weight room she would do it with us. She in no way asked us to do anything she wasn't willing to do. She didn't TELL us how to be a better athlete, in fact, she SHOWED us.

No matter what happen, you never doubted my future or my ability to do something. You constantly pushed me, helped me and encouraged me. You believed in me so much, that you made me start believing in myself. Thank you for believing in my future, and reassuring me of your support. Thank you for never letting me settle for less than my best.

You have given me the best years I could ask for. I will always look back on the time I had you as my coach with a huge smile on my face. Thank you for giving me extremely good advice that I will forever look back on and cherish for the rest of my life. I will by no means forget about you.

There aren't enough words to entirely express my gratitude. I hope one you realize I would not be the person I am today if it weren't for all your guidance, love, and support along the way. You have such a big soul, and I'm forever grateful to know you have the privilege of learning from you. You gave me a home away from home. I'm so grateful that we still keep in touch with each other on a daily basis because I know I would be lost without. Someday, I hope to be a coach and I hope to make as much as an impact on my athletes as much as you did on me.

Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for teaching me true strength. Thank you for being by my side every step of the way. Thank you for inspiring me. Thanks for being a text or phone call away when I need something. Thanks for taking random selfies with me. Thank you for being patient with me. Thank you for helping me achieve my dreams. Thank you for picking me up each time I fell. Thank you for the memories.

I hope I made you proud over the years.

Sincerely and always grateful,

Your former athlete.