Westboro Baptist Church: You picked the wrong campus to picket

Loyola will not stand for this bigotry.

76

To the members of the Westboro Baptist Church,

I don't know what you were thinking when you decided to picket Loyola. I don't know what "logic" propelled this attack, although I don't understand your organization overall. You claim to speak for God, but your hateful words are dipped in poison, intending to harm those who don't live the same lifestyle as you. You claim to be Christians, but you don't live a truly Christian lifestyle. You claim to be speaking the truth, but your words are all lies.

Over the years you've made some pretty ballsy decisions, like continually deciding to picket the funerals of soldiers who die fighting to protect the freedoms you so clearly prize, such as the freedoms of speech, press, assembly, and "religion." You preach hate while claiming to preach the word of God. Maybe that's why you attacked Loyola; because the Jesuits, like many Christians, accept individuals for who they are, not for the labels the world gives them. Because the Jesuits are a well-established, well respected religious group who have made countless positive impacts throughout the world and human history.

Loyola is a place of love -- God's love -- even if not all of our students are Catholic. We have a strong community that will only grow stronger after what you intended as an attack. You cannot hurt us by aiming at the Jesuits, Theology Club, and our LGBTQIA+ individuals and groups on campus. These groups are widely accepted on campus and are essential parts of our diverse community.

So yeah, I don't know what you were thinking when you sent out this flyer to picket our campus, or what that even means, but I know that the Loyola community will not stand for your bigotry. We are proud of our Jesuit heritage and the diversity within our community. There's nothing you can say that can damage us. You're only going to make yourselves look like bigger fools than you already are.

I don't know if you're actually going to show up next Wednesday, but I know that if you do, you won't be welcome here. We are a loving community and we will stand with everyone in our campus community because we are men and women for and with others. It's not just some cliche saying -- this is who we are. When you attacked the Jesuits, the Theology Club, Spectrum, and OUT Loyola, you attacked our entire community, and we will not stand for it.

If you come to campus, I hope you can see past your bigotry and recognize the true spirit of God's love present on our campus. I know that my fellow Greyhounds and I are proud to be Jesuit Educated and our entire campus will stand against your hatred.