An Open Letter To My Unexpected Best Friend

I never thought that you'd be the one who would be so deserving of that title.

385

First, let me just say thank you. You may not know it, but you are a big part of my happiness. You're the first person to try and make me smile whenever I get even the slightest bit sad. Whenever we are together, my day can take a complete 180 and be perfect. Our conversations at 1 am are my absolute favorite. We share the strangest interests, which is something that I've never really had. Being musically inclined, this puts us in some strange situations. Conversations that could go on for hours about some strange instrument are my favorite, and will most likely end with us trying to see if we could afford to buy it. The best part is we'll, instead, watch four hours of that instrument on YouTube until I want to kill you.

You treat me the way you would want to be treated. We tease, we fight, but at the end of the day, you're the person I'll turn to with all of my problems. You know my secrets, and I know yours. You know my insecurities, my ticks, and my pet peeves, and you will, without a doubt, always bring them up, knowing that I will retaliate ten times harder. You may not have seen me at my worst, and I could say the same for you, but we understand that these times have happened. We can easily communicate to each other these experiences and make sure that we never get to these places again. We're both messes, but life is messy. Even though others might not think so, we are so ready to take life by the horns and conquer it.

We confuse everyone, including ourselves. One minute, we're talking about linguistics and the origin of some complex language, and the next, we're watching cat videos side by side. Even though we are not dating, you are an A+ cuddle buddy. So many people think that you need to be in a relationship to cuddle, but if you're cold, and you have a perfectly good person who wishes to share their warmth with you, why not take advantage of that? Everyone we know thinks we're dating, but it's more than that. When people date, they usually say that they're in love with their best friend. We are like that but without the romanticism. We go on adventures, then we'll end up watching a romantic comedy that brings us closer, just to end with an "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" binge on Netflix.

No one would believe that we met only a short three months ago. However, these three months have been the happiest I have been in so long. You give me that same high that performing in musicals did. You're so important to me, and I hope to be your friend for many years to come. Thank you for sharing these times with me, and I can't wait to see where this long and winding road takes us.