An Open Letter To The People Who Hit My Car

You hit my car but now what?

115
Adam Griffith

Dear Stranger,

First and foremost I would like to say that I'm sorry that out of all the cars you could've hit you hit mine. Secondly, I sympathize with you. I know you didn't mean to scrape my car, it just sort of happened. Maybe you were rushed or maybe you can't judge the amount of clearance you have in front of you; we all make mistakes and that's life.

I get it, I really do.

However, things went awry at some point. When accidents occur without anyone watching it is a true test of our character. Here is the failure, not leaving a note on my car (and I know you know that you hit my car since it isn't a silent action and there is no way you did not feel it) saying that you're sorry and provide your contact information.

No, that's not what you did.

Instead, you ignored it. Well, to be frank, I'm not your biggest fan at the moment. You hit my car, which is only two years old and didn't have the decency to leave a note. I get it, you are a broke college student just like me and don't want to pay for the damage, trust me I understand. You could have just written "Hey, I'm sorry" and that would have made be feel four times better about this situation. But no, you left me hanging, hanging in fury. Also, we happen to go to a Christian university and I have this feeling that Jesus wouldn't be all too pleased with the way you handled the situation. But thank you for giving me this opportunity, yet again, to learn from others and to work on how to handle situations like this.

After noticing the damage you can imagine how livid I was and how I couldn't wait to call my parents to inform them that someone (yet again) hit my beloved car. Now I will have the pleasure of paying to get my car fixed for something you did, thanks for that.

All I ask of you is that next time you think it might be a little close please take the time to move and reconfigure your vehicle so that you don't hit another car. If anything, please be more aware of your surroundings and other people's belongings. It would be great if you stepped up to the plate and took responsibility but for whatever reason you did not. If this sounds a little harsh, good. Time to take pride in your mistakes; learn from them and that way you are never in this situation again.

Sincerely,

A vehicle owner with now two proud scrapes on her car (Go me!)