I am always here for you.

To My Struggling Best Friend

I am here, I am listening, and I will do anything to help you.

301
To My Struggling Best Friend
Hannah Westphal

Dear Friend,

A few days ago, we sat down and you came clean with telling me all the struggles you were having. Upon hearing the news, I took some time for myself to reflect on the things you had just told me. While I had had an idea of your suffering for some time, the true extent of it never seemed apparent - until now. Nevertheless, though, I always want you to know that I am here, I am listening, and I will do anything I can to help you get through this.

Last year was something of a tizzy for both of us. Between the drama and the life-changing events we experienced together, freshman year in and of itself was something I will never forget. Although, one of the greatest things that came out of it was our amazing friendship.

To this day, I can honestly say that I have never met anyone quite like you. We share humor, personality, and interests eerily similar to each other. Because of this, I have always said that you and I are the opposite gender version of each other. Your ability to talk to people as if you have known them forever has always baffled me as well. You are so real and genuine when you speak, that every encounter you have with people leaves a lasting impression on them.

You have an intelligence to you that is unmatched by anyone I have ever met, and it pains me that you can't see it. See, intelligence isn't measured by one variable, or at least the one you like to focus on - academics. To me, you size up to be so much more. You have the capacities of multiple intelligences including emotional, social, existential, intrapersonal, and interpersonal. These multiples intelligence combined make you more knowledgeable when it comes to real interactions with people than the pure magnitude of academic intelligence alone. Because of this, I have been able to become personal on a level with you that I have never been able to with anyone in my life before. As a result, this had made for some pretty interesting conversations which have made a lasting impact on the way I have structured my mentality on certain topics going forward.

Since meeting you, your presence is something of a gift to me. Unlike some other friends that have to constantly be entertained or otherwise catered to (no offense to them though, it's just what they prefer) you and I know how to sit together in silence simply enjoying the company of others. Comfortability in any relationship is a luxury, and thankfully, it's a luxury that we possess. From writing papers, watching youtube videos, and making trips to the local gas station together, everything has been an enjoyable adventure all the while. At the same time, the lack thereof each other's presence is something of a gift too. We could go 30 years without saying anything to each other, and when we do finally speak again, it will have been like nothing ever happened.

Most importantly, you're loyal. Loyal to me, loyal to your family, and loyal to your other friends. You have been one of the first people (besides my boyfriend) whom I tell everything to. And you know what I mean by this. It's not due to a lack of respect in other people, but simply the established trust that you and I have. I have confidence in you knowing that when I tell you something, it will not leave the room it was spoken in unless instructed otherwise. It is this established trust too that makes you someone I know I can always count on. And this, as a result, has saved my life.

There are a million things about you that I wish you could see that everyone else sees in you. You are so much more than your grades, the expectations of your family, and the doubts you possess internally. I don't blame you for feeling the way you do, and whatever decision you make is totally yours. But without you, the dynamic we have in our group of friends would be forever changed, and the absence of your presence would hurt me deeply. Nevertheless, though, you should always know that you can count on me, and several other people to be a pillar of support for you until the end of time.