An Open Letter To My Sister, As She Starts High School

An Open Letter To My Sister As She Enters Into High School

Even though I may be the older one, you are my role model.

293
Hana Hollenbeck

To my sister,

I have always admired your humor, your beauty, your ability to sing, dance, and play just about any instrument you pick up, your desire to give back, your strength, and my favorite - your personality.

You are one of the strongest people I know, and while you lack excitement over starting high school I want you to tackle this next step of your life like you do everything with strength, courage, and bravery. It won't be easy, growing up sucks, obstacles will come flying your way but I never want you to give up.

One day I hope you see the person I've always seen you because you are one of the most amazing people I have ever met. And no, I don't just say that because you are my sister, I say it because it's true. Here I have compiled a list of lessons I have learned over the years, with the intention of saving you from learning them yourself.

1. If your friend doesn't stick with you through thick and thin, then sadly, they aren't worth your time.

2. Don't lie to mom and dad, they will catch you in the end.

3. Saying "no" is perfectly okay.

4. Love yourself before attempting to love anyone else.

5. Don't give someone more time than they give you.

6. Boys are gross.

7. Stay away from drama.

Watching you become the person you are today has been one of the greatest gifts I have ever received. It is hard to wrap my head around the idea of you starting high school and the reality that in five months, my little sister will be able to drive. You have always been the reason I found the motivation to never give up. You are my sister and even better, you are my best friend.

Just remember that high school is what you make it, so make it something to remember. Have fun. Enjoy life. Capture the memories. And always remember that I'm here for you.

Love always,

Your Big Sister