An Open Letter to my Parents

An Open Letter to my Parents

I just wanted to say a few things before I go back to school this fall.

7
An Open Letter to my Parents
Karen Sibert

Dear Parents,

Thank you. Thank you for not being offended when I talk about how excited I am to go back to school. I just want you to know that it is not you. I promise that I am not trying to escape your presence or this wonderful home. Of course, I will always consider this place my home, especially you guys, but I also have a new home now. Yes, I would call my school and college-town my home now. I lived there for nine months. I now spend more of my time there than here. I established such great friendships that I have a family there, too.

I miss my best friends. I miss my new home. It is strange getting becoming accustomed to living with all of these amazing people then being yanked away from them for three months. It’s also strange being back in this town. Sure, it is nice to spend time with family and see my high school best friends, but there are remarkably fewer people here that I spend time with than at school. It is nice to come back here every once in a while, but I am ready to go back to school and see everyone.

I am absolutely not trying to hurt your feelings. Sometimes I feel bad when I talk about how much I love school and how excited I am go to back. I try to hold back my feelings when people ask me if I am ready, but sometimes I just cannot help it. As the move-in date approaches, I am getting even more consumed with excitement.

Thank you again for supporting me. Thank you again for not being annoyed at how excited I am to go back to school. Thank you for being happy for me that I found best friends that are family and a university that is a home.

I am sorry if it doesn’t seem like I appreciate everything that you have done for me and provided for me in our hometown. I just want you to know that I love both places because I have found a home in both, and I want to thank you for that.

So much love and so much thanks,

Your student