An Open Letter To My Mom Who's Far Away

An Open Letter To My Mom Who's Far Away

Long distance mother daughter relationships are hard.

3758
An Open Letter To My Mom Who's Far Away
Thalia Martinez

My mother and I have not always had the best relationship. We disagree a lot, we fight a lot and we just plain ignore the other sometimes. But one thing about my mom that I hate to admit is that she's almost always right and it burns my skin to be honest. After she moved to California this past Summer, I knew things would be different but I didn't expect them to be the way they are now. So this is to my mommy all the way on the west coast.

Dear mom,

I miss you and honestly I hate to say that because you are a pain in the ass. You do weird stuff all the time and I can't stand it most of the time. You're crazy and loud and always have to be in charge. You do whatever it takes to make everyone around you happy. Your eyebrows always look good because you always mean business. The scary thing is that I am just like you in every way. Sometimes I'm so much like you it scares me. You taught me that it's okay to be crazy and loud because if that's who I am, I should embrace it not hide it. You taught me that taking charge is something I should want to do to make sure things are done right. You taught me that if you look good, you feel good and girl if my eyebrows are poppin' I sure do feel great.

And mom, you taught me one very important thing. You taught me how to make people happy. Throughout my eighteen years on this earth I have seen you bend over backwards for the people you love. I have seen you jump through hoops if it means you get so see a smile on someone's face that you would do anything for. I don't say this a lot but I appreciate what you've done for me. You've kept me safe, fed, clean, and content with my lifestyle ever since the day I was born. So thank you mom because I know it wasn't easy. And I know that because I too jump through hoops for those I love. And even though I'm way too nice for my own good, I understand the feeling you feel when you see a smile on my face. Every time I'm doing something for anyone else I think of you and my appreciation for you just goes up like the temperature in a sauna.

I love you mom. I didn't think that college was gonna be this hard without you. I can't come crawl in your bed at 3am when I'm sad anymore and it's been hard. But I'll definitely see you soon and I can't wait for my hug.

Until then.