An Open Letter to My Long-Distance Best Friend

I should have appreciated living 5 minutes from you.

124
Haylie Williamson

To my best friend from back home,

Four months ago, if I wanted to see you, I would hop in my car and drive five minutes to your house. I NEVER appreciated that.

Now it’s been nearly four months and I’m counting down the days until I get to see you. Did you know since 1st grade, we’ve never gone this long without seeing each other? How weird is that?

Here’s the thing: Though, physically, this is the farthest away from each other we’ve ever been, it is the closest I have ever felt to you.

You are the one I call when life is falling apart. You are the one I call when I need reassurance. You are the person who knows me the best. I never realized how much we had been through together until I got here and found myself dying to talk to you about everything.

Every time I join a new club, I’m excited to tell you. Every time I meet a new boy, I’m ready to text you all the details. Every time I talk about home to my friends here, I talk about you.

That’s another thing, I brag about you 100% of the time. Everyone here knows who you are, how you are and the significant role you have played in my life.

Distance sucks, but it’s teaching me to cherish every conversation, every text and every day that brings me closer to seeing you!

The gratitude I have for your constant reassurance, giggling conversation and support from afar can’t be expressed in this short of an article.

Thank you for all the years of friendship you blessed me with and all the years to come!