An Open Letter To My Guardian Angel

An Open Letter To My Guardian Angel

To the world you were one person, but to one person you were the world.
72

Dear Dad,

I've waited a long time to be able to write this and to express my feelings about the past 21 years. From the moment I knew you were my dad, I didn't want anyone else. You were my best friend and I still can't replace the bond we shared. We had the typical daddy daughter relationship and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. There are still so many things I want to share with you, from going to prom, graduating and maybe walking me down the aisle.

I don't have to worry about walking in your shadow because you're always beside me, helping me chase my dreams. I remember when you were so excited over the little things. Like when we got the camper and you fixed it up to go on our annual vacation on the fourth of July. Or when we got the new house and you put your heart and soul into making it our home. You did everything for us, and taught us the true meaning of life. Family, Honor and Respect.

A lot of people were affected by your sudden death, and to this day so many people see us and tell us how awesome of a man you were. You went out of your way to do things for people that you didn't really understand how much it meant to them. You always put us first and made living easy. You worked your butt off and sometimes made us do it too. The cold winters when we cut, stacked and brought in wood at the time felt like just a crappy chore but you always said it built character. It truly helped me become the responsible young adult I am today.

I want to tell you that I love you, and I do every day and I hope you can hear me. I hope that where ever you may be, that you aren't hurting anymore, that you're happy and doing what you did best, make people happy. I sometimes catch myself wondering how the generations after me get whatever they want with no question or work for it. I then think about the time when you said that hard work pays off and that we don't get anything that we don't deserve.

On the day you died, my whole world stopped. It was like the color that I once saw on earth just turned a few shades darker. I miss you every day, and there are so many things I would trade to see your smile, to hear you laugh (and see your belly wiggle while doing so), to hear your voice (even it it's yelling at me), or to just see your blue eyes.

These past two years have been long and hard for me, but I know that you're with me, if i fall, if i am at the top of the world, I know that you'll always have my back. I love you dad, more than you'll ever know.

Love,

The child you helped grow