Open Letter To Caitlyn Jenner

Open Letter To Caitlyn Jenner

11
Open Letter To Caitlyn Jenner

Dear Caitlyn,

First of all, I just want to say how incredibly proud of you I am. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for you to live your life for 65 years as someone whom you didn't identify with. To have the courage to come out as transgender at any age is an example of bravery I wish that more people had. I just watched "I Am Cait," which premiered on Sunday, and within the first five minutes I was crying. The opening of you in bed, at 4 a.m., worrying about your responsibility to the trans community was just incredibly heartwarming.

As a celebrity, you could so easily have not used your position to help others and just accepted the love and support you were getting and not have understood your privilege, but you didn't. I really believe that your story is going to do some good. At the end of the premiere when you visited Kyler Prescott's family, a trans teen who recently committed suicide, you really brought attention to the suicide rate in the trans community. In your speech at the ESPY Awards, you stated that "trans people deserve something vital-they deserve your respect." In this day and age, why is that so hard for people to understand?

Everyone is a person with their own struggles, triumphs, and complicated lives. Every person deserves love and respect, no matter their sexual orientation, their gender identity, or their religious and political beliefs. I applaud you for trying to spread that message. I have had the pleasure of knowing a trans person myself, and she has the greatest heart. I want to thank you for letting people know it's okay to ask questions, and it's okay if you mess up pronouns sometimes, as long as people are making the effort to better understand trans people, progress is being made. Thank you for teaching tolerance and acceptance. I really do believe that if everyone had the opportunity to talk to a trans person, they would see what I see, which is their soul. Isn't that what really matters about a person anyway? The kindness of their heart should far outweigh their physical appearance. I just really want to thank you for helping people understand something that is a difficult thing to grasp.

From an older generation who saw you as "the greatest athlete in the world," Olympian Bruce Jenner, to a new generation who will see you as an Olympian of life, Caitlyn Jenner. I admire you wholeheartedly for living your authentic life.

Here's to you, Caitlyn, may you continue to be a beacon of hope and a living reminder that it's never too late to live the life you want to live, and that for anyone struggling, it gets better.