Open Letter To My Adopted Sibling

An Open Letter to My Adopted Sibling

Just because we aren't blood, doesn't mean we aren't siblings.

1856
An Open Letter to My Adopted Sibling
Courtney Gutkowski

To my adopted sibling,

Words can't describe how thankful I am to have you in my life. In a way, I'm being selfish for saying this, and it has to be bittersweet for you. Your birth parents didn't have the means to take care of you, which gave us the opportunity to give you everything you deserve. It's moments like this in life that make me believe in miracles because if you weren't brought to our family, my life would be completely different.

I wouldn't be able to hug you as tight as I can when I say goodbye to you. I wouldn't be able to brag about you to all of my friends about you doing so well in school. I wouldn't be able to try to hold back tears when I watch you shine like a star on the basketball court. I wouldn't be able to look at you with such pride and thank God every day for somehow blessing us with you.

I know that one day you may grow up and resent your birth parents, but please don't. They were young, but they were mature. They were mature enough to realize that another family could give you a better life. That they couldn't give you everything that you deserve. Don't ever think they didn't love you. They loved you so much that they did the hardest thing they will ever face, and choose your happiness over theirs.

Everything happens for a reason, and I know you were meant to be my brother. Sometimes blood isn't always thicker than water, because you are my brother no matter what the DNA tests say. We don't need the same genes to be considered family, because we already have everything we need. Love, friendship and a bond that can't be broken.

Adoption is such a powerful thing, and because of you, I would love to eventually adopt a child of my own someday to make them feel as loved as you are because everyone deserves that.

So, I don't think I'll ever be able to truly put into words how truly grateful I am to call you my brother, but I can tell you that I do and always will love you endlessly.

Love,

Your Sister