To The Woman Who Raised Me, I Couldn't Be More Proud To Be Your Daughter

Mothers give you everything they have and more.

330
Seb [ P34K ] Hamel

Mom,

You have been my best friend since the very day I came into this world. Since day one you have given me all of you, which I am positive was no easy task. Even more than that, you gave me every single good memory of my childhood that I have.

Being a single mom, I know, takes every ounce of strength, courage, and love you can muster as a woman, especially when dealt the hand you were. At the mere age of 28, you had been given the responsibility to raise two young children practically all on your own, with very little funds to do so. Of course, you had an amazing family to fall back on, but you also had to find yourself, work and juggle the needs of your children. When I reflect, I often come to the conclusion that you must have had superhuman powers to be able to do it all.

The older I get, the more I realize what you sacrificed every day, in order to give us the life we had. There was never a time we went without, and I know now, that is because of the endless hours of work you put in, and the amazing budgeting skills you have. You have always been the most selfless caregiver a child could ask for and you never once asked for anything more than love in return.

I will never forget coming home after an emotionally taxing Wednesday night or weekend, you always made sure our home was as cozy and as full of love as ever before. We would walk in the door to hear our favorite country songs, smell the candles you had lit, and see dinner on the stove. Your arms open and waiting to absorb our sadness and make us remember how loved we truly are. When faced with the same hurt we felt, you showed us just how strong you were by not speaking ill of the one that had caused it, but turning the other cheek and focusing on what truly mattered to you. Us.

I want you to know that I learned how to be me, by watching you learn how to be you. As you came into your own, gained confidence, and rebuilt yourself emotionally. My five-year-old self was watching, learning how to be strong, to do what is right not just what is easy, and to love myself. These lessons I was fortunate enough to learn early in life, however, they have been reinforced constantly throughout it. I couldn’t be more grateful or proud to be your daughter.

As Ed Sheeran says in his song Supermarket Flowers “You are an angel in the shape of my mom.” Every time I hear that song I cry because of truth behind it. It reminds me to cherish every moment I have with you, and devote as much of my life to returning all the love and selflessness you have shown me.

Thank you for all of the endless encouragement, advice, and love. I love YOU more than words can say.