An Open Letter To The Single Mom

An Open Letter To The Single Mom

Thank you for being both the mom and dad in my life.

1582
An Open Letter To The Single Mom
https://www.pexels.com/photo/monochrome-photo-of-woman-carrying-her-child-2015881/

I know you think that you are doing everything wrong, but you are doing everything right. You are not only being my mother, but you are also being my father. When I needed someone to play catch with you grabbed a glove, when I needed a home cooked meal five nights a week you provided. When we were tight on money, you picked up those extra shifts so I could go on that field trip.

I know sometimes you feel like the world is upside down and you're not raising me right. But look at me, I would not be where I am right now without you being my backbone, my biggest supporter, the best person in my life.

I owe you everything I have in life. Not only did you physically give me life, but you gave me a life worth living. You stayed when a dad left, you sacrificed without any recognition. You cried yourself to sleep many nights while waking up in the morning with a smile to give me.

You were always there for me, and I was always there for you. The bond that grew is untouchable and unshakeable. We helped each other grow and both helped each other become strong in our own ways. Even though all the fights and disagreements, your love for me shined through the darkest days.

You're allowed to take a break now. You got me to college, and while I still need to call you daily to make sure I'm doing my laundry right, you got me here. While it takes a village to raise a child, you personally raised me to be the person I am today. While I will always need you, you can now sit back and breath because you deserve that.

Mom, you also deserve the world. You made every decision around me and for me. You always put me first when some of the world wanted to put you last. I never went without, even if that meant you would have to. I had a warm bed, a roof over my head, and a mother who loved me unconditionally.

I want you to know that you're a superhero. Single moms are a different bred. You did the work of two while never making me think I was lacking anything. You protected me from the hurt of the world and everyone in it. You let me make my own decisions and gave me my independence when needed. You knew I would always make the right choices because you guided me to be the best person I could be.

You have been hated on from time to time for how you chose to raise me. Not everyone understood how a single parent household worked, but that did not stop you or discourage you from keeping your head up and moving forward.

Thank you again for everything. I will never be able to thank you enough. Thank you for dealing with my teenage attitude. Thank you for dealing with my high school drama. Thank you for driving me to the movies, the mall, my softball games. Thank you for letting me cry on your shoulder over my first heartbreak. Thank you for cheering on all my accomplishments. Thank you for being the best mother a child could have.