An Open Letter to the One Starting Over

We can start over in multiple instances and in multiple scenarios. Maybe you're starting over at a new job, a new home, a new relationship, a break up, etc. However necessary, starting over can be especially terrifying. We've all been there, and we've all felt it. So here's to you, the one who is starting over.

To the Person Starting Over,

First off, welcome to the most exhilarating and terrifying moments of your life. Those moments when you decide to leave people and things in the past and move forward with substantially less people and things than you had before. Regardless, if you feel as though a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders, then you probably made the right decision.

It's difficult to leave the things we love the most once we realize these are also the things that do us the most harm. Sometimes, it's difficult to see how toxic a situation is until you take a few steps back from it and look at the whole thing from a different point of view. If you're starting over, you're probably doing this right now.

Starting over doesn't mean you failed or that you've somehow fallen behind. It simply means you came to the realization, however grueling the process was, that where you were was no longer where you wanted to be. Maybe it wasn't a physical place or maybe it was, regardless, you stepped up, took control, and moved forward. And for that, you should be proud of yourself. Some people spend their entire lives existing in uncomfortable situations. You chose to start over and start living.

There will be bad days. Days when you cry yourself to sleep, break down over your morning coffee or on your commute to work. There will be days when you question if you made the right choice, if you're making the right choices, and what you did to ever deserve the hell that you've gone through. But, for every bad day, there will be a good one. Maybe you get reacquainted with an old friend, find a new hobby that you love, start a new job, etc. For every setback you feel, there will be an accomplishment--even if it's something mundane like dressing up and going out.

There will be fights, those who never wanted to be left behind will suddenly have a new found interest in the life you lead without them and while it's okay to look back, you'll be much happier with what's to come. You'll find out who your true friends are, the ones who will drive to your house just to give you a hug or bring over your favorite meal, and you'll find out who the not so true friends are--the ones who will forget you exist until they realize they need something from you--life is all about balance, right?

You will have highs and lows, but keep in mind that you've already made the best choice in starting over. Keep your head high and just keep swimming.

Sincerely,

A Friend.