An Open Letter To The Coach Who Changed My Life

No matter what sport you've played and regardless of the level of competition, every athlete has had a coach who taught them more than just about the game itself. We use these lessons in our everyday lives, and we tend to pass them along to others. You know that you would not be as successful without this person and you most likely still keep in touch with them even after they are no longer your coach.

Dear Coach,

Words cannot begin to describe the inspiring impact you have left on me, both inside and outside of the sports arena. You are an incredible role model and I am thankful that you have held me, and my team, to such high standards. Your hard work and dedication to the team have made me realize how lucky I am to have you in my life.

While you have taught me so much about this sport, you have also taught me so much more about myself. Without your guidance, I do not think I could handle a lot of the situations that life has put me through. You taught me how to have strength in moments of hardship. You taught me how to carry myself properly in situations where I could have acted immaturely. But most of all, you taught me to believe in myself. To this day, you refuse to let me accept anything less than what I set out to achieve, and I am grateful that you never allow me to give up on myself. You continue to push me to achieve my fullest potential, and because of that, I know that I will be successful.

I recognize that I have never been the easiest person to deal with and I admire your patience with me. When I make mistakes, you are never too hard on me, and at the same time you are able to express that you expect more from me. This has given me the mentality to expect more from myself and to work even harder. I use this mentality not just while playing sports, but in environments, such as academics, as well. I know that I cannot accomplish any of my goals without the right mentality and without the proper amount of effort.

Playing a sport has given me a lot of experience in working with others, but it was you who taught me effective teamwork. I have developed into a respectful leader and I know how to make decisions based on more than just what is best for me. Without this leadership quality, I would not be as ambitious and approachable among my peers.

Thank you for being someone that I can go to if I ever need to. You understand that there are some things that I feel especially comfortable approaching you about, you have never hesitated to give me advice, and you have never judged me for anything. Without your help, I could have easily gone down the wrong path and become a different person than who I am today. You are one of the reasons why I am proud of the person that I have become and I hope that rewards you as much as it rewards me. You are truly a special person to me and my family and I hope you know how thankful our entire community is for you.

Sincerely,

An inspired player