To My Sophomore Year, Thank You For Making Me Stronger

I am proud to say that the tough experiences I went through this year strengthened me as a person.

88
Nadine Haddad

Dear Sophomore Year,

Hi. I have no idea how it happened, but you went by so quickly. So much happened to me this past year, but now everything just feels like a blur. No wonder people call sophomore year the “forgotten one.”

But now that I think about it, I have probably made more memories this year than in any other.

I failed my first test. I got my first B on a report card. I had three seizures. I had to stop running for cross country and track. I stopped talking to many of my friends due to my lack of participating in the extracurriculars I was so devoted to. My best friend moved to Australia. I felt really lonely. The list goes on and on.

Personally, it was an extremely tough year — the toughest one in my entire life.

However, the things that happened to me this year have done nothing but made me stronger. I am an extremely emotional and sensitive person, and in most situations, I often find myself preparing for the worst outcome possible. But now that I have experienced many of the worst outcomes yet, I have strengthened my willpower and ability to fight through those things.

When I look at things on a broader scale, I see that I am so lucky. When I am at my worst, I try to think about how lucky I am for the life that I was given. And now I know that I should always be thankful for how blessed I am for the life I was given, despite whether I am happy or sad.

After my 16th birthday, I pulled my way back to the top. I ended second semester with all As. I started exercising again and preparing for the next cross country and track seasons. I started taking medicine to reduce the likelihood of me getting a seizure (which, by the way, hasn’t happened for six months now!). I talk to my friend who lives in Australia every single day. I made new friends. I grew close to my already-existing friends. I am far from lonely.

I have even more to look forward to now. I am visiting my friend in Australia during July. I am getting my driver's license next Tuesday. I am applying for a summer job. I am planning on redecorating my room, and I am going to a concert to see my favorite vlogger — David Dobrik.

I become disappointed in my ignorance and selfishness when I begin to feel sorry for myself and what I’ve been through. There is so much that I should be grateful for and so little that should be taken for granted. It is never too late to realize that.

So, thank you, sophomore year, for teaching me this. I know now that while life can be extremely tough sometimes, by looking at things on a broader scale, it is safe to say that things are going to turn out just fine.

Sincerely,

Nadine Haddad