An Open Letter To Society

An Open Letter To Society

Dear Society, Let's make a change.

302
An Open Letter To Society
Before It's News

Dear Society,

Let me start off by saying how much you've changed over the years. There are so many things about you that I wish were different. You have the ability to influence the young minds of the next generation but you haven't been setting a good example for them. Because of you, girls have self-esteem and body image issues. Because of you, people think it's okay to cheat and date multiple people at once. Because of you, people are discontent with their lives and with what they already have. Because of you, people have lost the ability to effectively communicate and interact with others in person. It's all because of you. My biggest hope for you is that you realize what kind of impact you've made on this generation of future leaders. Here are some of your greatest issues that you've caused that need to be fixed.

Body Shaming.

Why do you feel the need to make others feel inferior and insecure about themselves? Don't you know that everyone is beautiful in their own skin? I will never understand why you go around and engrave this image of an "ideal body type" into young girls' minds during their most impressionable years. By praising certain figures over others, you've done more than cause self-esteem issues. You've also caused a whole group of young girls to resort to eating disorders just to resemble an unattainable standard of "beauty". This reality is something that isn't just happening at a local level but is rather occurring at a world-wide level.

Side Relationships.

I know you'll often kid around and make jokes about having a "main bae" and a "side bae", but I want you know that sometimes it's not okay. You've not only made relationships in today's day and age a trivial matter, but you've also encouraged young people to resort to various dating apps and websites to do so. With today's technology, you make it so easy for people to cheat on their significant others without ever leaving a trace of evidence that such a thing actually happened. What ever happened to just being happy with one person in a relationship? Why do you insist that more is better?

Discontent and Depression.

As someone who has a lot of influence, you seem to love showing people things that they wish they had but don't actually have. Why is it that you flaunt the luxurious lives of celebrities and coin terms such as "goals" to describe such lifestyles? What do you hope to achieve by doing so? Whether or not you intentionally do this, you are responsible for the ongoing depression in many people's lives. They see all the things you shove in their faces and tend to grow more and more dissatisfied with their lives and the things they don't have. You've even fostered this stigma that if a person's life isn't exactly like that of a celebrity's, they are inferior. This is what ultimately causes the constant feeling of discontent among people who are influenced by you and your ways.

Ruined Interpersonal Skills.

Because you've gotten people so used to hiding behind their phones or computers to "talk" to each other, you have ruined the face to face interactions they once were so fond of. Don't you remember the times before personal meet ups and hang outs were corrupted? Though you've made it so much more efficient for people who are not near each other to communicate with ease, you have also inspired a sense of laziness in those who are. Because of you, people are growing more and more distant from others whilst growing more and more fond of their electronic devices. You've taught parents that it's okay to let their child sit in front of a computer screen to watch television instead of going out to the park or daycare to interact with other children. This is a problem that if not addressed early on, will continue through adulthood.

Overall, Society, you need a long overdue change in perspective. You need to understand that even though you bring great things to the current and future generations, you also bring with them more problems. I understand that you're difficult to change, but hopefully with time, you can learn to better yourself to be an "ideal" society that can help shape and guide future generations to brighter futures.

Sincerely,
A Girl who's Looking for Change