An Open Letter To My Second Home

An Open Letter To My Second Home

You are so much more than you ever knew you could be.
30

Dear Home Part Two,

You were more than just the average "home away from home." You were more than just a dance studio. You were more than just a friend's home. You were more than just a church, more than just a club or organization, more than just a team. You were so much more than anything you've ever been labeled.

You were my escape. When life got stressful (Lord knows it happened a lot), you were there for me. I often found myself overwhelmed with the highs and lows of life. In those cases, although they were often complicated, all I needed was the simple solution that you offered. With you, I could temporarily clear my head. I could declutter my crowded mind. You gave me a certain peace that trumped all of my stresses, a peace that I had trouble finding at the time.

Similarly, you were my safe haven. If ever I was hurt, betrayed, lonely or just in need of somewhere to run to, you were my refuge. You were the safe place I found myself fleeing to whenever I was scared. You were the open arms I ran into when I was falling apart. You were the strength I needed when I simply could not stand alone.

You were my second family. I used to believe that nobody would ever love me as much as my biological family. You proved me wrong. Don’t misunderstand me. My family is everything that a family should be: supportive, loving, accepting, patient, understanding and really just amazing. However, you are right there with them. You are an extension to the wonderful people that God has put in my life, and I could not feel more blessed than I do knowing that you love me like I am your own.

You gave me something to look forward to. Not a single person can argue that some days, or some weeks, are just plain hard to get through. Life sometimes has a way of feeling like boring clockwork. People live day to day and only focus on checking things off their mental to-do list. Whenever I’d fall into that toxic pattern, you were the fun thing for me to anticipate the arrival of. You were the “11:11” of my clockwork, exciting on even the most boring of days.

You helped make me who I am today. You welcomed me as a young child, and you watched as I grew older and older. You walked me, hand in hand, through the stages of my childhood. Whether you realized it or not, I looked up to you and everyone involved with you. I studied the way you handled various situations, the way you interacted with every type of person and the way you always seemed to respect me (even when I was in my awkward middle school phase). Each moment spent with you, little by little, helped shape the person I am today.

You made an impact in my life that was bigger than I could have ever imagined. Each and every day, I thank God for every moment spent with you. You gave me a reason to smile when I had trouble finding one. You gave me a place to channel my energy and attention, which would one day develop into a passion. You gave me a place to feel valuable when I felt invisible everywhere else. You warmed my heart with such tender love when I felt completely alone.

The best thing about you? You're still there for me, and I know that you always will be. Feelings of fear, loneliness, worthlessness, rejection and anxiety will always be lingering in the shadows, waiting for a sign of vulnerability. They will always find their way into my life. You, though, you will always have a bigger place in my life. You will always be there for me.

So, thank you. Thank you for being there when I needed you. Thank you for being a support system and a safe place. Most importantly, thank you for changing my life. You didn't ask to play such a huge role in my life, but you willingly accepted the challenge. I am a product of your love, your acceptance, your loyalty, your time and your security. I am who I am because you are who you are.

All my love,

Your ever-so-thankful biggest fan