Dear Sophomore Year, I'm Not Afraid of You

This year is going to be different.

4
Peregrine Reads

I enter each school year with enthusiasm and an open mind to the endless possibilities the year brings me. I soon come to find, however, that it's never as easy as I think it will be. All of the hard work takes a toll on me and, especially with enduring the challenges my first year of college brought me last year, I became very over it very fast. In fact, I sometimes even wonder why I should even bother anymore.

This year will be different though.

Recently, I've entered an age group that is without a doubt the most important of my life. Throughout the next few years, I will find myself socially, personally, academically, and spiritually. While being this age is a wonderful, fulfilling time, it also leaves me vulnerable to some of the toughest obstacles I will have to face that will ultimately determine which path in life I will pursue.

You may be wondering how this pertains to you, the newest school year to come around. It's quite simple, actually. In college, school is not just about the academics. Sure, that is why we are there in the first place, but what effects our study habits, mental state, and grades in the end is how we choose to lives our lives outside of the classroom, as well as who I associate with. I am here to tell you that I am not afraid of you. I want more than anything to succeed and make myself and my family proud. I am not going to let the little things take a toll on my mental state and, ultimately, my grades. I am going to shut out all negative influences around me to keep my state of mind at peace as I make the grades I need to walk across that stage come graduation. I am going to treat myself by giving myself the time I need to be alone, because we all know that being with people constantly can be draining. Most importantly, though, I am going to succeed.

You may intimidate me, but you will not consume me.