An Open Letter To The People Who Think Distance Made Me Forget About Them

"Distance gives us a reason to love harder."

41

Distance can be heartbreaking. It is heartbreaking, especially when you know you might never see anyone again. Even though moving miles and miles away from some of your favorite people means a whole different life, that doesn't mean you'll ever forget about them. I mean why would it?

Some people seem to think differently, though.

To be fair, traveling doesn't mean much because people do it all the time. Obviously I am not the only person who has thought moving alone would help me let go of toxic energy or friends that I became too attached with. But when you surround yourself with so many of those people for years, you can't help but imagine a day without them, but I had to start imagining the rest of my school life without my best friends or my closest family friends by my side. And that's okay. What is not okay is how my attachment suddenly becomes a faint memory and when I distance myself from those people, they seem to think it means I forgot about them.

They now think it means I forgot how awesome it was to laugh non-stop or get together with our other closest friends and never think about our worries when we were with each other. They they now think growing apart means replacement and our new friends slowly replaced the old ones but when is it ever truly like that? My first friends became my closest friends for years, some for not as long but still very memorable, and I could never cherish my memories with them enough. Sure enough, it all sounds cheesy and seems like I'm just gathering my emotions together to make sense of nothing.

But it's not necessarily like that.

You can wish for someone to not get the wrong idea or impression all you want, but unfortunately we can't alter minds. I can't tell someone whom I am not in touch with anymore that I didn't forget about them no matter how much I want to. I wish I could because I have not forgotten about a single person I have met in the past.

In fact, I constantly think about our memories every day.

So, to all of you who I used to be close to, or if distance separated us apart, I didn't forget about you and our fun times together. I never will and I needed to let you know.

Yours truly,

Triveda