An Open Letter to Parents Who Are Against Tattoos

I want you both to know that I got my tattoo for myself.

19022
http://www.oddee.com/item_99012.aspx

This is a letter to parents who do not like tattoos. I am writing this to hopefully explain to parents why their child made a decision that they deliberately knew that their parents would disapprove of. These are my reasons and although I know many people will differ, I hope this gives some insight to what is going through the head of an independent twenty-something.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I want to let you both know how much I love and respect you. For the past twenty years you have taught me to be a strong independent woman and you have lead by a great example. You are both extremely hard working and I hate to admit it but one day I hope to be the best parts of both of you. Mom, Dad, I have a tattoo. I got it without either of you knowing because I know how much you do not like them. There are a few things you both need to know about why I made this decision.

First, I want to make sure that you guys understand that I did not do this to spite you. Mom you always told me that you did not like tattoos because, “The thing I liked when I was twenty are not the things I like now; I change.” Yes, you have changed, but there are things that you liked when you were younger that you still like now, for example, me (or at least my brother). My tattoo represents something that I love, that I will never stop loving. It represents my family and home.

Next, If I did not get this tattoo at this time, this would not be the tattoo I would have. Dad, you asked me to wait. You told me to wait until I was done with my undergraduate. You're right it would have been easy to wait another year and a half. However, I love my tattoo! I got it spontaneously. You knew that I had been talking about a tattoo FOREVER! I had so many ideas! I knew what I wanted it to represent but I had no clue how to pull it off! If I did not get it when I did there would have been a good chance that I would have never had it done by the artist I did and it would never have been able to capture everything that I wanted it to.

“If you have enough money to waste on a tattoo, then you have enough money to pay for your own college.” I am very fortunate to have parents who support me and have made it possible to go to a school that I love. My tattoo cost about $500 and yes this is a big chunk of money that I could have put to better use. But I earned that money by working on average 55 hours a week with only about six full days off all summer. My tattoo reminds me of how hard I can work. Plus lets be real, if I did not spend my money on my tattoo, it would have gone toward In-n-out, sushi and a new summer wardrobe.

Lastly, I want you both to know that I got my tattoo for myself. I know not everyone is going to like it. I know you guys will probably never approve of it, but I love it! It is perfect! It reminds me of my strength and where it comes. As odd as it sounds it reminds me of both of you. The poppies are not only the California state flower but they're your favorite flower. Dad, you have always taught me that with hard work I could accomplish anything, and my tattoo is a daily reminder of that.

I never expect either of you to love my tattoo, and I royally screwed up by lying but I hope you guys realize that I am who I am because of you. I am strong, confident and independent. I am the person you raised me to be.

Love always,

Your little girl