An Open Letter To The Man Who Showed Me True Love

A simple “thank you” will never be enough

1641
WALLPAPERN

After being in a toxic relationship, you usually find yourself doubtful and wonder if anyone could really love you for who you are. You ask, “what’s wrong with me?” or stand in front of a mirror and pick yourself apart. You were so sure you knew what love was until your partner dictated every part of your life. He made you constantly fight for his attention, feel insecure about your physique, and pin every fault on you, making you seem crazy. Looking back on my past relationship, I wonder why I couldn’t see how unhappy I was earlier.

I am more than thankful that part of my life is over because, during this whole time that I felt worthless, there was a friend who supported me and was my biggest fan. Little did I know that he would become the person who would show me what love really was.

Yes, I know all girls say their boyfriend is their true love, blah, blah, blah. I was one of those girls with their head in the clouds and said time and time again, “We really loved each other. I don’t know what happened.” Silly me. The thought of finally achieving true love was what possessed me to believe that lie while I was in a toxic relationship. It wasn’t until I let go of the negative and embraced new beginnings, that I was able to see that there was somebody by my side for years, always keeping me level headed and believing in me. He showed me what love is and set the perfect example for me by loving me, and that's how I learned to love myself again.

Thank You For Accepting Me As I Am

Personally, I am one that comes with heavy baggage. Things are hectic at home and I am always trying to avoid any disasters or heartache. I am constantly the one mending fences so things return to normal and the girl that cleans up everyone's messes. You have never judged who I am or where I come from. You accepted my craziness head on and are always willing to help me. You don’t let my home life affect our relationship because you know our relationship isn’t focused on the bad in my life.

Thank You For Teaching Me I Don’t Need To Feel Insecure

You understood my anxiousness because of my past and have helped me get out of that dark hole. You always make me feel beautiful and take every chance you get to remind me that. You have shown me what a loyal and trustworthy person should act like. I have complete trust in you and confidently know you would never maliciously hurt me.

Thank You For Always Being There For Me

Whether you get up from the couch to get me food because my lazy butt doesn’t want to, or whether you hold me tight to stop my tears, thank you. You are the most reliable person I have in my life and that’s saying a lot. You have never left in the middle of an argument, nor have you ever discouraged my goals and ambitions.

Thank You For Being Awesome And Giving Me What I Want (Sometimes)

Your side of the bed is comfier than mine, so thanks for switching places with me so I can sleep peacefully. Even though I beg, you always let me have a bite of your food or a sip of your drink, so thank you for that selfless act that you perform every time we eat a meal together. And last but not least, thank you for watching countless hours of HGTV with me. I’m so glad we can house hunt from your cozy couch and daydream about our future together.

Thank You For Being My Best Friend

According to Urban Dictionary, “Best Friends are very special people in your life. They are the first people you think about when you make plans. They are the first people you go to when you need someone to talk to. You will phone them up just to talk about nothing or the most important things in your life. When you’re sad they will try their hardest to cheer you up. They give the best hugs in the world! They are the shoulder to cry on because you know that they truly care about you. In most cases, they would take a bullet for you, coz it would be too painful to watch you get hurt.” This defines exactly who you are, so thank you for being my #1.

Thank You For Being Who You Are

You inspire me every single day. Your sense of adventure and passion is something I will always be amazed by. I feel so honored that you chose me to share your darkest secrets and mac n’ cheese pizza with. You are so loving and genuine. I cherish the goodness that you have in your heart. You have taught me patience and that no one in the world needs to feel alone. Thank you for opening your heart to me and letting me be a part of your life. I only see great things for our future.