An Open Letter To My Hopes And Dreams

An Open Letter To My Hopes And Dreams

I will achieve greatness, even if what I perceive as greatness changes.

1454
An Open Letter To My Hopes And Dreams
Quotesgram

As a child the questions we are asked most often are "What do you want to be when you grow up," and "Why?" We answer with things like veterinarians, doctors, lawyers, and astronauts. Somewhere between our elementary and college years, we lose the ambition to obtain these once far less lofty goals. In response to the death of ambition, I am writing a letter to my aspirations which are now at hand in my slowly approaching adulthood years.

Dear Hopes and Dreams,

I will see you soon.

I still have the aspiration to achieve greatness, however, my interpretation of "greatness" has changed. When I was young I though the only way to fulfill my desires was to become famous. To be great is to be known. I think much differently now, although I'm still shooting for the stars my contentment comes from my works in my community. So, even though you've changed a little over the years, I still want to achieve you.

You have morphed as I've grown older and became more educated. You started as Marine Biology, specifically Ichthyology. You, my precious dream, soon became unbearable. I may have loved sharks and whales, but I hated biology. Obviously, you were going to have to change for our relationship to work, so you morphed into sports medicine. We were working together once again, my hopes and dreams were fitting in with my schedule. As a football manager, being on the sidelines gave me ample opportunity to learn the ins and outs of sports med. After being bled on, sweated on, and trampled on I decided that this was the job for me. I loved it, despite the various liquids and trials, each day came with new triumphs.

Approaching my senior year in high school you had to yet again change to please my needs. Suddenly you, my hopes, were no longer for myself, but rather for others. Southeast was a second home for me, really it was more of a first because I was there far more than at my own humble abode. I will always consider the staff and administration my partial parents because they brought me through a lot of stuff. Especially my psychology teacher and my guidance counselor, they are the reason you had to chance one last time.

My guidance counselor was new, we had never met before, but by the end of the year, she knew me as well as my friends did. She held me together and gave me a safe place on days when I felt like I was drowning, and that is why she changed you. You, my hopes, were no longer for myself but for others. I wanted to be that person for someone who was struggling to tread water through high school. I wanted to impact a young adult’s life and never know I had even made a name for myself. My psychology teacher is the reason I have chosen to pursue you as you are now. In a world where many people are turned off by school my psych teacher made it very enjoyable. I also thoroughly enjoyed the subject which is we are where we are today.

To my hopes and dreams, I will achieve you. I will become a high school guidance counselor. I have already started making my way into the hearts and minds of kids. I started teaching at church, starting with fourth through sixth grade I’m hoping to obtain a job at a high school in my hometown before they all graduate. I am slowly gaining on you. All of these years I’ve spent feeling as if you were just out of reach, now you are slowly becoming within my grasp. I will not sell you or myself short while I lay the grounds to carry you out on. I will continue to strive daily in not only my personal affairs but in my classes in order to better serve you, my hopes and dreams.

With love,

Your pursuer.