An Open Letter To My Future Students

An Open Letter To My Future Students

To the students that God will one day place in my classroom.

1628
An Open Letter To My Future Students
From Food Stamps to a Future

Dear Students,

I hope that you will come into class and have an ambition to learn new things and see what this world is all about. I hope that you’re able to find something that we are studying and love it. I want you to discover and find a love for learning. I want you to love learning as much as I do. If you don't that's okay! I just hope that there is something beneficial in what I am going to be teaching you. Learning doesn't always mean learning the common core. It can be learning from peers experiences or learning more about yourself or the world around you. I hope that I am able to create a classroom that allows you to have plenty of opportunities to learn and grow.

I hope you challenge your views and allow your views to be challenged. I want you to know that it's okay to have your opinions and for other peers to have theirs as well. To know that you can all live in harmony and be friends despite your views. I hope you're able to diversify your friendships and relationships with those around you. I hope that by challenging your views, you're able to open up your perspective to the world. I hope that you're able to see things that you may have never seen before. In the end, I want you to learn how to stay strong in what you believe, but also listen to the diverse viewpoints of your peers.

I hope that my classroom helps promote your way of learning and studying, while giving you opportunities to learn new ways of learning and studying. I hope you try new things but feel like I am finding strengths of all the students in the class. Maybe you'll find a new studying method you never knew existed! I hope you develop great study skills.

I hope that you know that throughout your time in school, your friendships and relationships are going to change as you do, and that is more than okay! Maybe you've already experienced that or maybe you're experiencing it for the first time. No matter, I hope you know that God has a plan for everyone that he has walk into your life and a plan for everyone who doesn't stay around. I hope you grow in your relationships with your peers but are prepared for that change. As you move from elementary to middle school, from middle school to high school, and from high school to college. I hope you find your true friends. Don't forget to stay in touch with them! The friends who stick with you through everything and know you but still love you are the friends you want. Duration of friendship is irrelevant. I hope you make friendships in my classroom that last a lifetime, but if not, that's okay. I just hope you have friends that you can count on.

I hope that you will find a safe haven here at school. I hope that no matter what your life outside of school is, you are able to put that all away for eight hours and be surrounded by friends and teachers who care about you, or at least find comfort in knowing that I am here for you. I want you to do well in my class, but I also want you to know that I was where you were at one point in your life and will always be here if you need to talk, want advice, or want to simply chat. I will always be open and honest with you. I will never judge you or see you of lesser of a person. I will be here to speak life into you and share how God has impacted my life. I will be here to give you encouragement and uplift you in times when you're down.

I hope that you will always keep the line of communication between us open. If you have a problem going on with friends, family, I hope you feel comfortable talking to me about it. I hope that by knowing you, I am able to better understand your situations. I hope you know that I am a compromising and understanding teacher who realizes the stress and unforeseen things that life throws at you. I want you to succeed in my class, but if you had a rough weekend, a rough night at home, please know, I expect that you will put your own health and well being above anything else. Forget my homework for a night if you need to. I understand. Please, just talk to me. Keep the line of communication open.

I hope that you feel accepted and loved in my classroom. I hope you feel respected. I hope you feel like you matter. Because you do. I hope that my classroom sends you positive vibes and energy to help you power through your day. I hope that you feel loved and respected by your peers, by myself, and by the staff here. I hope you feel comfortable bringing up any concerns you have where you may not feel accepted, loved, or respected. I want to create that atmosphere for my classroom so never feel ashamed for coming to me.

I hope you are comfortable sharing in class. Sharing what you know and what you’ve experienced in your life and relating it back to the content. I don’t want you to ever feel like you’re going to be ridiculed for what you say. Every mistake is a chance to learn and gain new knowledge. I want you to be able to help engage in class discussions. I hope that if you're not a student who feels comfortable sharing, you are able to break out of your comfort zone a little bit. I hope that I, as your teacher, am able to create an atmosphere that makes you feel comfortable in doing so. I hope my classroom promotes openness and conversation.

I hope that you understand that your grades and test scores are not the end all be all of your school career. Especially the state standardized tests. I hope that you do well, but I understand that not everyone is a good test taker by any means. I hope you try your very best and know that it is enough. You are enough. I hope you take these tests, learn from your mistakes, and do better next time! I hope you know that you're absolute best is enough and no one can ever make you feel lesser of a person because of your grades or test scores. You are so much more than that. God created you to do great things in this world. Don't ever forget that.

Finally my dear students, understand that I am your teacher, but I am also human. I make mistakes just like everyone else. Please give me grace and patience as well. I have been praying about you since the day that I knew for sure I was going to be a teacher. I have been praying for you to teach me just as much as I'm here to teach you. I have been praying for a classroom that uplifts, encourages, loves, respects, and accepts all people. No matter who they are. I pray that you do the great things that the Lord has created you to do. I have asked God to bring me students who will challenge me and enlighten my life and my world as much as I do to them.

May God bless you and your journey through school.

From,

Your Future Teacher