An Open Letter To My Home Away From Home

"Home does not have to be a place—it could simply be the people you surround yourself with."

1087

Dear "Home,"

Someone once told me that home does not have to be a place—it could simply be the people who you surround yourself with. This past year I got to experience first hand what that really means with the friends I was blessed to live with while I was away at school. So, this is my thank you letter to you guys.

Before this year, I never knew what it felt like to feel at home while not at home. I never realized that home could be more than just a location, but you guys have made all the difference. I loved just hanging out, talking about literally everything and anything, going out with and making more memories than we can even remember, and every other thing in between.

There are so many things I want to thank you for, I don't even know where to begin. I guess I'll start by saying thank you for always raising my spirits when I'm down. No matter what has happened throughout a long day or night, I knew I could always come home to you guys and get a smile on my face. Stress from school work was rarely able to get the best of me, and when it did, it never lasted long because you all kept me sane. With having you by my side, I can't say I can even remember any of my bad days, because they always turned out to be pretty decent.

Thank you for listening to my girl drama and boy problems. I know there are stories that you probably heard a million times before I fully got over them, but you never complained. You were always there for me to vent to, laugh with, and cry with. Even a small hug can go a long way, and it meant the world knowing I could go to you guys for anything I needed.

Thank you for screaming about "The Bachelor" with me (especially when JoJo didn't win). I looked forward to my Monday nights sitting around the TV watching Ben Higgins ruin all of our lives. Together we made fun of Olivia and her oversized mouth, fell in love with JoJo, and wondered why Chris had to announce that there was a final rose during every single ceremony as if we couldn't see that there was only one rose left on the table. Did I mention he should have picked JoJo? Oh well, she'll slay as "The Bachelorette."

Thank you for getting pizza with me at 2 a.m. Both drunk and sober, that is the best time to get a slice because it really helps bring out the flavor of the cheese and the sauce and the regret. The saying "you are what you eat" cannot possibly be true, because if it was, we would all look like pizzas, but we are all way prettier than that.

Thank you for helping me pick out my outfits. I loved all the mini fashion shows we put on for each other trying to figure out what to wear. Not to mention it was really great always having multiple closets to shop out of when I couldn't find anything in my own. And thanks for not saying I looked cute when I really didn't, as the honesty was always much appreciated.

Thank you for taking care of me when I was feeling sick, whether it was lending me medicine, taking my temperature, or handing me a tissue when I had a case of the sniffles. They were small things that made a big difference since our moms weren't around. Being sick always sucks but it would have been way worse if I had to go through my sick days alone.

And, of course, thank you for making me feel at home. The physical place we live will never compare to my actual home, but the people that filled it this past year made it more than just a place to sleep while I'm at school. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to going to my actual home again for the summer, but you guys are going to make it really hard to actually leave. We are leaving behind so many great moments, but taking so many great memories with us. You have seen me at my worst and my best, and know me better than I even know myself. Although overall we are going our separate ways and we all won't be five feet away from each other anymore, always know my door will be open to you at anytime just like it is now.

I love you guys with all of my heart, and I'm thankful you all have become my best friends. Thank you for giving me a place I could be myself, thank you for being you, and thank you for being my home away from home.

Love Always,

Your Roommate