An Open Letter to Graduating Seniors From A College Freshman

Advice for Surviving the First Year

65

Dear Seniors,

Most of you have just walked across that stage and received the highest honor of your life so far. You feel on top of the world, like you can accomplish anything. You spent four years of high school for a lousy piece of paper and high school isn't fun for most people. You stressed over finals, spent hours applying for colleges, and now you're done. Its time to move on to the next phase of your life.

When I had graduated high school, I had barely decided where I was going to college a week earlier. I was scared because I had no idea what my future held.

If I have one piece of advice for those who just graduated, believe in yourself always. I have gotten through hell in this first year of college. I had a 4.0 GPA for the first time in my life and I also received my first D in a class. I bought first car and worked my butt off to pay it off. I struggled to paid bills for the first time and I worked my first job at full time hours. For the first time, I didn't have time to sleep. I struggled to manage the stress of school and work. I lost and gained friends. I had toxic friendships end and I made some of the best friends of my life so far. You experience adulthood and childhood in one year.

This first year will be one of the craziest of your life. You'll have highs and lows. You'll be on top of the world one day, and hitting rock bottom the next. Just know that you will be okay. Keep faith in yourself. It will be what gets you through the good days and bad days.

Don't be scared. Every graduating senior is in your shoes.

My advice for all of you is to believe that every day is one step closer to the future we all dream of. Keep believing in your dreams and keep believing in yourself. Never let fear get in the way. Enjoy the first year, you'll never experience anything like it.