An Open Letter To Those Who Always Give The Benefit Of The Doubt

Your temporary pain will inspire a lifetime of happiness.

72
Tanja Wa

Hello, friend,

I want to congratulate you. Why, you may ask? I want to congratulate you because you've survived some serious emotional wreckage and pain. As ironic as it sounds, you've suffered because you've chosen to give so freely and generously to all- even those who don't deserve it (are there really such people, though?)

It starts with a simple smile. The smile blooms into laughter, and the laughter gains momentum, catching infectious feelings and spreading them like the plague. And before you know it, you're fully committed. You're all in. You've given them the benefit of the doubt because you choose to believe in their highest and greatest potential.

We freely choose to wear our heart on our sleeve- and as you've learned, that exposure can lead to accidental and unintentional bumps, snags, and bruises. Sometimes our hearts even get knocked off of our sleeves and fall with a nasty plummet to the cold, hard ground. You're momentarily left stoic and unresponsive; you don't know how to respond without your emotional reaction to freely and without apologies give to anyone and everyone.

But this heartless person isn't you- it's not a part of your essential makeup. And so you pick up your heart. You reattach it proudly, dawning a "kill 'em with kindness" attitude as you walk boldly and confidently into the unknown. You continue to give- you continue to give others the benefit of the doubt.

And so I'd like to congratulate you. Why, you may ask? I want to congratulate you because even though you've suffered, suffer, and will continue to suffer, you also have chosen to give. You will continue to give despite the consequences, and in doing so, you continue to make the world a better, more compassionate place to live. You inspire others to do things they've never thought possible; you give others the courage and momentary fearlessness to live truly by their convictions, morals, and beliefs. And I, personally, do not believe there is anything more daring, courageous, nor giving than choosing to live joyously and compassionately in the known, always giving others the benefit of the doubt.

Keep it up, always.

Sincerely,

A fellow (and joyous) bearer of pain and inspiration