An Open Letter To The Girl Moving Into My Old Room

Dorm sweet dorm.

9
Sta. Cruz iPhone

Another summer is coming to a close and that means moving into a new place. My freshman dorm room was small and cramped but it was also my home and it will soon become yours too.

Hi you,

You are probably a new student and if you're living in a dorm you are most likely living farther away from home.

You'll first walk into that room thinking wow, OK, it's small and the walls are ugly but I'm free from home.

Make that room comfy and cozy

Those plain white, cinder block walls are your canvas. Express yourself because you can make that room yours. It's one of the first things people notice about you.

Make that room your home

Living in a new room, probably not by yourself, surrounded by neighbors you don't know can be scary. Add things to your room (pictures and a stuffed minion or Olaf should do the trick) that remind you of home. That way when you've pushed yourself too far out of your comfort zone, you have a place to go back and relax.

Here are some dorm tips:

• Might be weird, but keep your door open while you're in your room for the first few days to make some friends! And keep a bowl of candy or popcorn ready for guests. They'll love you forever!

• Make use of vertical space. Bed risers will be your best friend. Just trust me on this one

• Hate the one big light in your room? Use twinkle lights! Not only do they provide the perfect amount of light but they also make your room feel extra cozy

• Decorate your door from time to time! Have a white board? Use it! Place a motivational quote on there during finals week for all your floor mates to see. Spruce up the door around holidays, it will help you de-stress plus it is great for roomie bonding

Don't stay in you're room all the time

College should be a time where you make great memories in and out of the dorm room. Go outside take pictures in the snow with your friends, find a cool new place to eat, your room will always be there for you at the end of the day

Create good memories

Take it from me. I have created amazing memories in that room, like having makeovers with people who are now my best friends. Create good vibes in that room because you never want to remember your freshman dorm room as a bad place.

That tiny, old room holds some great memories for me and I hope it does for you too. It is your new home, make it a good one.

Best of luck to you,

Your former room tenant