An Open Letter To My Friends In Deep Waters

To the people who feel like they're drowning.

9

"Mighty waters cannot extinguish love; rivers cannot sweep it away. If a man were to give all his wealth for love, it would be utterly scorned." Song of Songs 8:7

Have you ever heard of the song "Oceans" by Hillsong? In the song, it talks of someone being taken to deep waters, deeper than their feet could touch. It's a prayer for God to take them to an area of their life where they feel vulnerable and raw. A place where they feel like they're drowning. They pray "Lord, keep my eyes above the waves". They sing with certainty that God will not let them sink. In one of the lyrics, they sing "your grace abounds in deepest waters".

And they do. Think about it - life isn't going your way, everything around you seems to be slipping from your fingertips, and you're drowning. You can't breathe, you can't feel anything but the water surrounding you until you can't see anything but pain, and who pulls you up? You can't pull yourself up. Who reaches in and saves you from the depths of your suffering?

God's grace stretches to the ends of our vulnerability. He has an unconditional and unwavering love for all of us, no matter if we're facing our deepest waters, or we're at the peak of our lives. There is no water too mighty, or valley too low that will cause him to turn from you.

So, dear friend, I pray that you sink to those waters. I pray that God takes you to those mighty waters and that you need Him to pull you up. I'm not praying that you struggle, but I'm praying that you find endurance through your trials, and I pray that the endurance you find comes from the Lord. I pray that as you go through life, that you grow towards Jesus, not towards the world. Don't let the false beauty of this world entrap you into thinking that it's even the tiniest bit better than the Kingdom that's waiting for you in Eternity.

Pray hard. Pray that God will send you to the deepest waters, and that He will lead you to a place where your trust has no borders. Pray for His sovereignty to be your guide. Pray that the oceans of this life are no match for the treasure He has for you. Pray that you will be so captured by God's grace and mercy that your soul will get lost in His embrace. Don't ever forget His embrace.

So, the next time you hear Oceans on the radio, and you start singing along, make sure you really understand what you're singing about. And the next time you feel that you're drowning in deep waters, you'll know the only one who can pull you out.