An Open Letter To My First Summer Camp

An Open Letter To My First Summer Camp

Thank you for making me the woman I am today.

28
An Open Letter To My First Summer Camp
Nina Listopadzki

Vanderkamp, from the remnants of the old barn to the campfire pit by the lake, you've been really good to me throughout the years.

I'll admit, I used to really not like the idea of you. A week away from my friends at home? A week in the bugs and mud plus no air conditioning? Ten-year-old me was not impressed. I had Nintendogs that were going to starve and get dirty, I had hot gossip with the kids on my street I was going to be missing out on, and I had to spend the week in the same place as my brother. Yeah, you can bet that I wasn't really thrilled to be here the first time.

From the moment my bunk was made and my parents were saying their goodbyes, I knew I was stuck here and was determined to have a bad time. However, your charm quickly made me realize how ridiculous I was being and as soon as the first full day was over, I had caved. I was addicted to Ga-Ga ball, I was learning how to make at least three different kinds of friendship bracelets and made friends with the weird girl who manically laughed while pretending the garlic bread tongs were her new robot hands, and of course, I knew every word to the chocolate pudding cheer. You had this tiny skeptic, hook, line, and sinker.

Years passed and I grew older, staying for two weeks and a weekend instead of just one week. I made sure that I could attend every single reunion possible. I was making the best friends I've ever had, trying more activities, and creating memories that would last me a lifetime. I went through the Leader-In-Training program and eventually became a counselor on your staff.

I dedicated my blood, sweat, tears, and every idea I had ever had, into making sure that my camp was the very best camp it could be. Throughout my time with you, I had kindled friendships, relationships, and gained mentors along the way. My camp friends grew up, some came back to camp for a long time, some found other paths and some stayed only for a little while before moving on elsewhere. In the meantime, I was learning all about how to make the magic happen for the kids that came to stay with us. My fellow staff and I would be robots and dinosaurs one night, and sprites and druids the next. We laughed, we cried, we argued, and we made magic together. Throughout our time on staff, we had grown from newbie counselors to old veterans, and campers clung to us pretty tightly. At the end of each week, at least one would ask "So you'll be back next year... right?!" Unfortunately, the confident "Yes, of course!" became a little less genuine each year.

I learned how to care for and love other human beings more than I could imagine that I could love someone. I learned that, in the right context, eating mud isn't that weird and that you have to leave your comfort zone and expect the unexpected at all times. It doesn't matter if it's a game that needs a boost of fun, a homesick camper that needs a nurturing touch, a new counselor that needs advice, or sitting out on the fishing dock at dusk accompanied by fireflies, crickets, and starlight, I wouldn't trade my experiences here for any number of Nintendogs or air conditioners.

And although my time there is now over, and I'll be moving on to a new camp a little further from home, I'll never forget all that I learned here. I will take the lessons I've learned at VK wherever I go, and I can't wait to come back and visit when I'm too old to be as super fun as a young camp counselor.

So, hey Vanderkamp, how do you feel?

WE FEEL GOOD, OH SO GOOD. HUH! HUH! HUH! HUH! HUH!