To The Fake 'Friend' Who Used Me, Then Abandoned Me

I guess we weren't meant to be best friends.

1049

Dear fake friend,

Thank you for wasting three years of my life. However, during those three years, I actually believed we could be best friends forever. But we went our separate paths. The reason? Mainly because I realized you took advantage of me.

Our friendship first went haywire when it involved too much giving. At least, from me that is. I trusted you with my Facebook password and you, like always, used it to your own advantage. You used my Facebook to talk with people instead of just using your own Facebook. You also invaded my privacy by posting without my consent and reading through my conversations with other people. It didn't end there. When you read through my private conversations, you confronted me about them to seek more information. And I let myself tell you everything. I still don't understand why, but I just let you do it for some reason. I guess I thought it was OK since I also had your Facebook password. I thought we were equal, but I never used it to my advantage. I just had it for no reason. There were times when I did change my password without telling you, but you always managed to come and ask me for my password. It never stopped. I hoped that it would eventually end. But it didn't until we stopped talking.

I realized you were, in a way, controlling me like a puppet. There was a time when you disliked someone. If I even dared to talk with that person, you would become furious with me. I never really understood why, but you fed those lies to me. You told me that this person could not be trusted — that this person stole all of your friends away from you. You may have been right, but you exaggerated. This person is actually kind and sweet. I believe that you may have told me this just to protect me. But maybe you were wrong.

You weren't a bad friend. We actually did share some great memories. You just didn't know that each thing you did hurt me. The times you took my Facebook and basically made it your own made me feel like my Facebook wasn't even mine anymore. We shared deep conversations, but you also made me feel like I was too boring to even be friends with you. I felt insignificant. You made me feel like I finally met my best friend, but you didn't. We eventually lost contact and sometimes you blamed me for not texting you often, and I did try to text you. But each time you kept on leaving me on read. You just left me hanging. Just like how you left me out when you became close with my other friends. You guys created your own small group and left me out. You guys had your own cute little group chat and group name without me. I believed that I had no one to talk to. I felt like you guys locked me outside of your fun little house. This was the first moment I felt abandoned.

The other times I felt abandoned were more recently. You practically cut off contact with me. You made some excuses. The excuses weren't even valid. I may understand why because we never really talked much, but it just hurt. I also heard you made several of my other friends unfollow you as well. I just don't understand why it was a select few.

Whatever happened between us, I still do cherish you as a good friend of mine. I cherish you as the person who made me become my own person. You gave me the push that I needed to stop relying on having someone with me at all times. I finally began to adjust on coping issues by myself.

Now I am finally known for being me. I'm finally my own individual self.