An Open Letter To My Best Friend Moving To California

Missing you already.

235
Alana Magro

The first thing I want to say when thinking about you leaving is “please don’t go.” But I know that would be selfish of me and unfair to you, so I refuse to spend the rest of this letter convincing you to stay close to home near me.

However, I will take this time to tell you how much I’ll miss you. There’s nobody who understands my odd ways more than you do, and you never judge me for them (at least, not all the time). I’ve always been a homebody and you have been counting the days until you graduate high school and get the heck out of this town. We are different in many ways, but also similar on other levels. There has never been a boring moment with you. You can make snow days with no power or cable into a fun photoshoot in my backyard. Starbucks runs with you became spending the entirety of Friday nights at that coffee shop, meeting new people and becoming friends with everyone who works there. As time went on, you didn’t only become the largest influence in my life, but my family’s life as well. The Saturday sleepover tradition with me turned into Sunday breakfast with you and my mom in the morning. Vanilla milkshakes and fries after school turned into lunch with you and my little sister. And average family night dinners became non-stop laughter when you joined in (nobody can make my dad laugh harder than you).

We will all miss you. I’d like to say that I’ll miss you the most out of everyone, but ever since we have started this friendship you have also become a part of my family. My family will miss you the most out of everyone. My mom will miss the only person who wakes up at eight a.m. to get lox and bagels with her. My sister will miss lunch dates with you and seeing you in the halls. My dad will miss your slightly inappropriate jokes at the dinner table that everyone loved. I can’t imagine someone not missing you when you leave.

Now that I’m done making you realize how much everyone loves you, I’ll stop being selfish by mentioning everything that will suck when you leave and instead I’ll mention the opportunities ahead of you. Although you’re going to be across the country and far from me, I can’t sum into words how happy I am for you. You got into an amazing school, shared your amazing artwork with numerous people and did not hesitate to reach for the stars. You are many things to me. My best friend, my family, my partner in crime, but you are always someone I look up too. I know you very well, so I know that you going to California will give you the opportunity of a lifetime. I envy all of the people who will get to become your new best friend out there, but at the same time they’re lucky to meet someone as amazing as you and I know they won’t find a better friend.

To you and your incredible future.

Love always,

Me