An Open Letter to My Best Friend Attending A Different University

Although I wish we were roommates, in the same sorority, and just as inseparable as we have always been, I am happy for you.

1376
Sydney Weik

You Have Been There Every Step of the Way

We became friends in Kindergarten, and we stuck together ever since. Through every heartache, accomplishment, and milestone you have been there. No matter what situation I find myself in, I knew I could count on you to be there to help in any way possible.

We played on all of the same sports teams, joined the same clubs, took the same classes, and hung out every chance we could outside of the extra-curricular activities. Sure we argued and got tired of each other at times, but all best friends do. No matter what the fight was, it did not last. Nothing was worth losing our friendship over.

We Did Not Realize How Much Was Going to Change

When we both decided where we were going to college, we were just full of excitement: for ourselves and for each other. Little did we know we would see each other maybe once a month, if that. We moved miles apart, joined sororities, met new people, and grew. We were not familiar with the people each other were spending time with, so everyday conversations got a little harder. We tried to keep up with all of the new names, places, and adventures but it was nearly impossible. And that's okay.

I Am Happy For You

Although I wish we were roommates, in the same sorority, and just as inseparable as we have always been, I am happy for you. Meeting new people and experiencing new things without each other is actually beneficial.

Being apart from you has made me appreciate your friendship more. I get excited when your school's sports teams win (except when our schools play each other). I will always wish you the best of luck on any exams or interviews that you will face in the future. I hope that you find yourself and chase your dreams.

I pray that you meet people that will make you a better person, and see all of the good things in you like I do. Although it is hard not being able to experience this parts of our lives together, I only wish you the best in everything life has to offer for you.

No Matter How Far Apart We May Be, You Will Always Be My Best Friend

My favorite thing about our friendship is no matter how long we go without seeing each other, we always pick up where we left out. Anytime anything major happens in my life, you are always one of the first people to know.

I know that if I ever needed you that you would be here as soon as you could, and vice versa. We still talk almost every day, even if it is just a simple Snapchat selfie to save our streak. I cannot wait for more visits to see you at school, and I am excited to see where our futures take us. I am beyond thankful for the friendship that we share, and I always will be.