Open Letter To Your Best Friend At Another University

355

Dear Soul Mate/Mind Reader/Other Half,

This sucks. I thought I would be used to it by now, but I'm not. It has been a few years already, but I still wish we had ended up at the same college. I know we are both having the time of our lives, and the times when I get to see you are so special, but sometimes I wish I could just jump through FaceTime and give you a huge hug.

When I first met you in high school, I never would have imagined that we would be best friends. After we realized that we were practically the same person, we were inseparable. From passing notes in class, to complaining about the food every day at lunch, and going to countless high school parties, we took on the world together. We were partners in crime, and I never thought there would be a time where I did not see you every day.

But we grew up. We graduated high school. We -- well, I -- bawled like a baby and we hugged our teachers one last time. We cherished our final summer together before college, which was one of the best summers of my life. 

Freshman year passed. Sophomore year came and went. We saw each other on long weekends, holidays, stalked each other on Facebook, and had five-hour phone conversations when we had the time. Like a long-distance relationship -- face it, we are practically dating -- we made it work. It was not always easy. I made countless new friends when I joined a sorority, and you got involved with so many organizations on campus that you also had a new friend circle. But we never forgot about each other or the bond we share, because that bond is like no other.

This summer, I realized how much we had grown up. We outgrew most of the activities we used to do in our hometown, but we still did them anyway, for old time's sake. We realized how much we meant to each other, and we both cried when the time came to go back to our respective schools. 

Recently, I've been missing you more than usual. I hear a throwback song on the radio and it reminds me of our ratchet red solo cup days. I pass a restaurant we used to frequent and I am brought back to our first grown-up dinner dates downtown. I buy an outfit for a social and remember dressing up for our crazy Halloween parties. I like every single one of your pictures on Facebook. I see you making memories as I am making mine. But I am so happy that we are still best friends, despite the distance. 

You don't know every detail of my life anymore, and I might not know your latest gossip. But, with winter break just around the corner, I am sure our days will be filled with playing catch-up and sipping bottomless gingerbread lattes. Even though we don't see each other every day, I just wanted to remind you how special you are to me. Keep rockin' your school and having the best time. You better have good stories for me, because I have plenty for you, girlfriend!  

Love always,

Your bestie