Only child problems

You Were Definitely The Only Child If You Find Yourself Still Doing  These 7 Things Today

These behaviors only make sense if you lived the life of an only child.

30
https://unsplash.com/photos/p0hDztR46cw

You don't realize how much your childhood affects your present-day behavior until someone asks you if you were the only child. They figure you act the way you do because you did not have siblings to help shape those behaviors.

1. Making Yourself Laugh

You didn't have anyone to play with as a child so you had to entertain yourself. You laugh at our own jokes and sometimes the everyday things you do make you laugh. No one is your biggest hype man than yourself. You don't need anyone to laugh at your jokes because you know you are the funniest person out there.

2. Talking To Yourself

Contrary to popular belief, talking to yourself does not make you crazy, it is just proof you do not need anyone to keep you entertained. Maybe you're reading instruction, playing out a dialogue in your head, or just stating aloud what you are doing in the moment, why be silent when you can just talk to yourself?

3. Asking and Answering Your Own Questions

The most notable trait! Directly linked to talking to yourself, but this is even more important. If you are curious about something and working to find the answer, it must be said out loud. If not, you were never the only child and this article does not pertain to you!

4. Have Trouble Sharing

Yours? No, mine! Even as an adult, sharing can be a challenge. You are willing to share things you don't want or don't care about but no one can lay their hands on something that you take pride in. Keep your hands of our clothes, food, and anything that we see as valuable. You never had to share as a kid, so it has made it that more challenging to share as an adult.

5. Forgetting about people around you

Because you were the only child, you never had to think about how your actions would affect those around you. You could be as loud as or as quiet as you wanted, have your room as messy or clean as you pleased. Basically, whatever you did had no effect on anyone around you because there wasn't anyone around you. Now that you are older, you have a roommate, needy coworkers or friends that you have to take into consideration before doing certain things.

6. You want all the attention

Sharing tangible things is one obstacle, but sharing attention is another. Nothing is better than having all eyes and ears on you. When you talk, they listen and respond. It is important that if you have a story or public service announcement everyone around is listening. At this moment no other person, phone, or task is important but you.

7. Waiting on others is your pet peeve

…" What are we waiting for? Can't they just meet us there?" If you don't at least think these things on a regular, then you weren't the only child. You never had to wait on anyone! If anyone was being waited on, it was you, by your parents. You do not like your time being wasted on others because there are so many other things you could be doing.

Growing up as the only child had its perks and has left a lasting impact on our behavior today. Some may view our behavior as self-absorbed weirdos, and others just realize that we grew up alone.